Differential equation (product/quotient)

In summary, the conversation covers questions about the use of the quotient rule in solving equations with multiple brackets, as well as the consequences of reversing the order of differentiation in the quotient rule. The participants also clarify the terminology and subject matter of the discussion.
recoil33
I have several questions, so i'll post these as i go.

y = (5x+2)2/((x+5)3)2

u = (5x+2)2
u' = 7(5x+3)6 . (5)
v = (x+5)3
v' = (3(x+5)2).(1)

Quotient = (u(x)*v'(x) - v(x)* u'(x) / v(x)2)

(5x+2)7 . 3(x+5)2 - (x+5)3 . 7(5x+5)6 .(5) / ((x+5)3)2

[ If i knew how to put this under i would ]

What have i done wrong here? not exactly sure ;s

If i have an equation with 2 brackets on the numerator, and only 1 on the denominator will i use the product rule for the numerator then the quotient? Or, will i expand the brackets then use the quotient rule?

Example:

(4x+9)(6x+1) / (8x+3)

u = (4x+9)(6x+1)
u' = (4x+9)(6) + (6x+1)(4)
v = (8x+3)
v' = (8)

Am i doing the right thing here? Any advice will help thank you.
[If my question is not clear please tell me]

Thanks in advance, recoil33

Physics news on Phys.org
recoil33 said:
u = (5x+2)2
u' = 7(5x+3)6 . (5)

I'm assuming there's a typo-- [itex]u=(5x+2)^{7}[/itex], right?

recoil33 said:
Quotient = (u(x)*v'(x) - v(x)* u'(x) / v(x)2)

The quotient rule is [tex](u'(x)*v(x)-u(x)*v'(x))\over (v(x))^{2}[/tex]; you reversed the order of differentiation. You take the derivative of the function in the numerator first.

recoil33 said:
If i have an equation with 2 brackets on the numerator, and only 1 on the denominator will i use the product rule for the numerator then the quotient? Or, will i expand the brackets then use the quotient rule?

You can do it either way. The work you posted is correct.

But what do they have to do with differential equations?

@ JThompson

Yes, the equation was sapose to be

u = (5x +2)7
u' = 7(5x+2)6

The equation will be incorrect if i accidently put u'(x)*v(x) and v'(x)*u(x) in the wrong order?

@Hallsofivy

Sorry, bit new to the terminology of the mathematics.

I guess it's not a differential equation?, although was it in the right section? (calc and beyond)

Thanks JThomas for your help and thanks for your input ivy ;)

recoil33 said:
The equation will be incorrect if i accidently put u'(x)*v(x) and v'(x)*u(x) in the wrong order?

Yes. The derivative will be of the opposite sign.
v'(x)*u(x)-u'(x)*v(x)= -(u'(x)*v(x)-v'(x)u(x))

Good luck.

FAQ: Differential equation (product/quotient)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function, to model real-world phenomena and predict future behavior.

2. What is the product rule for solving differential equations?

The product rule for solving differential equations states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function. In other words, it is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions.

3. How is the quotient rule used in differential equations?

The quotient rule is used in differential equations to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It states that the derivative of a quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

4. What types of problems can be solved using differential equations?

Differential equations can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze systems and processes that involve continuous change, such as population growth, heat flow, and motion.

5. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and the initial conditions given. Advanced techniques, such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods, can also be used to solve more complex differential equations.