Differential equation tree height

In summary, the conversation discusses the growth of a tree planted as a seedling and its rate of increase in height. It is given that the tree cannot exceed 25 meters in height, and the time taken for the tree to grow its first and last meter is calculated. The correct answer for the time taken for the tree to grow its last meter is 10 years, and the corresponding height is 9 meters. The language used in the question may be confusing, leading to misunderstandings.
chwala
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
A tree is planted as a seedling of negligible height. The rate of increase of its height , in metres per year is given by ##0.2√(25-h)##
a. explain why tree can't exceed 25 metres. answer⇒
##dh/dt=0## when h=25
b. express t as a function of h answer⇒ ##t=-10√(25-h)+50##
c. how long does it take for tree to put on (i) its first metre (ii)its last metre
d. express h as a function of t here i did it like this ##h=25-(t^2-100t+2500/100)##
##h=2500-t^2+100t-2500/100##
##h= -t^2+100t/100##
##h=t-0.01t^2## which agrees with textbook answer. where ##0≤t≤50##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

c(i)##t=-10√25-1+50 t=1.0## years , this is the correct answer as per textbook.
c(ii) solution is ##t=10## years implying that h=9
my question is why ##h=9##?why not 15 or 20? i was unable to solve c(ii)[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, Δt = 10 years. It doesn't imply that h = 9.
Hint : You simply have to find the time taken for change from h = 24m to h = 25m.

Hope this helps.

I think you are misunderstanding (c), either the question or the answer. (cii) asks how long it will take the tree to grow its last meter. You have correctly shown that the tree will grow to 25 m so its "last meter" will be from 24 to 25 meters. It take [itex]t= 50- 10\sqrt{25- 24}= 50- 10= 40[/itex] years to grow to 24 m and [itex]t= 50- 10\sqrt{25- 25} = 50[/itex] years to grow to 25 m. It takes 50- 40= 10 years to grow that last 1 m. The solution is NOT "t= 10" because t is the number of years the tree has been growing, NOT the difference in years. h= 9 m is the tree's height when t= 10. That has nothing to do with (cii).

Thanks its now clear to me, the language used in questions is sometimes confusing. greetings from Africa.

Related to Differential equation tree height

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various natural phenomena and physical systems.

2. How is a differential equation used to determine tree height?

A differential equation can be used to model the growth of a tree by considering factors such as sunlight, water, and nutrients. By solving the differential equation, we can determine the height of a tree at a given time.

3. What factors are typically included in a differential equation for tree height?

The factors included in a differential equation for tree height may vary, but some common factors are the rate of growth, availability of resources, and environmental conditions such as temperature and precipitation.

4. Can a differential equation accurately predict tree height?

While a differential equation can provide a good estimate of tree height, it may not account for all variables that can affect tree growth. Factors such as disease, damage, and competition with other plants may also impact a tree's height.

5. How can differential equations be used to manage tree growth?

Differential equations can be used to develop models and simulations for managing tree growth. By understanding the factors that contribute to tree height, we can make informed decisions about planting, pruning, and other strategies to promote healthy growth.