Differential Equations and Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation involved solving a series of differential equations with given initial conditions. The solutions for equations 1, 4, and 5 were checked and found to be correct, while equations 2 and 3 were solved with the assistance of a forum member. The title of the post was deemed misleading as the equations did not involve Fourier Series.
NaN089

Homework Statement

Q1) (dy/dx)= 2x(y2+9); y(0)=0
Q2) (x4+y2) dx - xy dy =0; y(2)=1
Q3) (dy/dt)= 4y+t
Q4) y"+2y'+y=0; y(0)=4 and y'(0)=-6
Q5) y"+3y'+2y= 30e2t

3. Solutions found

A1) y= tan (x2/3)
A2) this is not an exact differential and so cannot be solved
A3) couldn't solve this yet
A4) y= 4e-x -2xe-x or y= 2e-x(2-x)
A5) y= Ae-x + Be-2x + 2.5e2t

Can someone check if my answers are correct, please?

Many Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
NaN089 said:

Homework Statement

Q1) (dy/dx)= 2x(y2+9); y(0)=0
Q2) (x4+y2) dx - xy dy =0; y(2)=1
Q3) (dy/dt)= 4y+t
Q4) y"+2y'+y=0; y(0)=4 and y'(0)=-6
Q5) y"+3y'+2y= 30e2t

3. Solutions found

A1) y= tan (x2/3)
A2) this is not an exact differential and so cannot be solved
A3) couldn't solve this yet
A4) y= 4e-x -2xe-x or y= 2e-x(2-x)
A5) y= Ae-x + Be-2x + 2.5e2t

Can someone check if my answers are correct, please?
For 1, 4, and 5, you should check your own work. For example, is tan(0) = 0? Do this function and its derivative satisfy the differential equation? If so, your solution is correct.

For 3, rewrite the equation as y' - 4y = t. There are several approaches you can take, one of which is to find an integrating factor to multiply both sides of the equation by. By eyeball, e-4t appears to be the integrating factor to use here.

BTW, your title is misleading. These differential equations don't have anything to do with Fourier Series.

Last edited:
For 2, make the substitution u = y/x or y = ux. From this you get y' = u'x + u. Substitute for y and y' in your differential equation to get an equation that is separable.

Thanks for your help mark. i corrected the silly mistake that i made in 1, and cracked 2 and 3 with your hints.
I'm new in this forum and this is my first post. I have not learned all its features but i will soon discover how to use those symbols. ;p

Thanks again for your help. :D

FAQ: Differential Equations and Fourier Series

1. What are differential equations and Fourier series?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve one or more derivatives of an unknown function with respect to one or more independent variables. They are used to model relationships between variables and are fundamental in many areas of mathematics and science. Fourier series, on the other hand, are mathematical representations of periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. They are often used to analyze and solve differential equations.

2. What is the importance of differential equations and Fourier series?

Differential equations and Fourier series are important tools in mathematical modeling, engineering, physics, and many other fields. They allow us to describe and understand complex systems and phenomena, and to make predictions and solve problems that would be otherwise impossible to solve.

3. How are differential equations and Fourier series related?

Fourier series can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly those involving periodic functions. In turn, differential equations can be used to describe the behavior of Fourier series. They are closely related and often used together in mathematical analysis and problem-solving.

4. Can differential equations and Fourier series be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, differential equations and Fourier series have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving physical systems, natural phenomena, and complex relationships between variables.

5. Are there any practical uses for understanding differential equations and Fourier series?

Understanding differential equations and Fourier series can be valuable for a variety of practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, predicting weather patterns, and developing efficient algorithms for data analysis. They can also help in understanding and solving complex problems in fields such as finance, medicine, and computer science.

Back