Differential equations and initial value problems

In summary, for the first question, the solution is correct except for a minor mistake of a missing minus sign. The correct solution is $y=\frac{x^2e^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}}{2}+Ce^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}$. For the second question, the solution is also correct, but an alternate method using the anti-derivative form of the fundamental theorem of calculus is provided in order to eliminate the need to solve for the constant of integration. The correct solution for the second question is $u=\sqrt{t^2+ \tan\left({t}\right)+C}$, with $C=16$ based on the given initial condition.
ineedhelpnow
did i do these two questions right?

$y'=xe^{- \sin\left({x}\right)}-y \cos\left({x}\right)$

$y'+y \cos\left({x}\right) = xe^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}$$I(x)=e^{\int \ \cos\left({x}\right)dx}$

$\int \ \cos\left({x}\right)dx=\sin\left({x}\right)=e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}$$y'e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}+y \cos\left({x}\right)*e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}=xe^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}*e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}$

$y'e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}+y \cos\left({x}\right)*e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}=x$

$(ye^{\sin\left({x}\right)})'=x$

$ye^{\sin\left({x}\right)}=\int \ x dx$

$ye^{\sin\left({x}\right)}= \frac{x^2}{2}+C$

$y= \frac{x^2e ^{\sin\left({x}\right)}}{2}+Ce^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}$
$\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{2t+sec^2t}{2u}$ and $u(0)=4$

$2u du = 2t+ sec^2t dt$

$\int \ 2u du=\int \ (2t+ sec^2t) dt$

$\frac{2u^3}{3}=t^2+\tan\left({t}\right)+C$

$u=\sqrt[3]{\frac{3(t^2+\tan\left({t}\right)+C)}{2}}$

now $u(0)=4:$

$4=(\frac{3(0^2+\tan\left({0}\right)+C)}{2})^{1/3}$

$4=(\frac{3C}{2})^{1/3}$

$4^3=\frac{3C}{2}$

$128=3C$

$C=\frac{128}{3}$$u=(\frac{3(t^2+\tan\left({t}\right)+\frac{128}{3})}{2})^{1/3}$

Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
did i do these two questions right?

$y'=xe^{- \sin\left({x}\right)}-y \cos\left({x}\right)$

$y'+y \cos\left({x}\right) = xe^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}$$I(x)=e^{\int \ \cos\left({x}\right)dx}$

$\int \ \cos\left({x}\right)dx=\sin\left({x}\right)=e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}$$y'e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}+y \cos\left({x}\right)*e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}=xe^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}*e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}$

$y'e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}+y \cos\left({x}\right)*e^{\sin\left({x}\right)}=x$

$(ye^{\sin\left({x}\right)})'=x$

$ye^{\sin\left({x}\right)}=\int \ x dx$

$ye^{\sin\left({x}\right)}= \frac{x^2}{2}+C$

$y= \frac{x^2e ^{\sin\left({x}\right)}}{2}+Ce^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}$

It is right,you just forgot a minus sign..The solution is :
$$y=\frac{x^2e ^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}}{2}+Ce^{-\sin\left({x}\right)}$$

ineedhelpnow said:
$\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{2t+sec^2t}{2u}$ and $u(0)=4$

$2u du = 2t+ sec^2t dt$

$\int \ 2u du=\int \ (2t+ sec^2t) dt$

$\frac{2u^3}{3}=t^2+\tan\left({t}\right)+C$

From $\int \ 2u du=\int \ (2t+ sec^2t) dt$ we get:

$$u^2=t^2+ \tan t +C$$

thanks, its always the little things that slip past me and i don't even now how i messed up like that on the second one :eek:. so for the second one:

$u=\sqrt{t^2+ \tan\left({t}\right)+C}$

$u(0)=4$, so

$4=\sqrt{0^2+ \tan\left({0}\right)+C}$

$4=\sqrt{C}$

$C=16$

$u=\sqrt{t^2+ \tan\left({t}\right)+16}$

ineedhelpnow said:
thanks, its always the little things that slip past me and i don't even now how i messed up like that on the second one :eek:. so for the second one:

$u=\sqrt{t^2+ \tan\left({t}\right)+C}$

$u(0)=4$, so

$4=\sqrt{0^2+ \tan\left({0}\right)+C}$

$4=\sqrt{C}$

$C=16$

$u=\sqrt{t^2+ \tan\left({t}\right)+16}$

It is :
$$u^2=t^2+ \tan t+C \Rightarrow
u= \pm \sqrt{t^2+ \tan t+C}$$

but as $u(0)=4$, we reject the negative solution,so it is as you have mentioned.. (Smile)

Here's an alternate way of dealing with the constant of integration you may find useful...

Suppose you have the initial value problem (IVP):

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=f(x)\) where \(\displaystyle y\left(x_0\right)=y_0\)

Now, separating variables and using indefinite integrals, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \int\,dy=\int f(x)\,dx\)

And upon integrating, we find

\(\displaystyle y(x)=F(x)+C\) where \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(F(x) \right)=f(x)\)

Using the initial condition, we get

\(\displaystyle y\left(x_0 \right)=F\left(x_0 \right)+C\)

Solving for $C$ and using \(\displaystyle y\left(x_0\right)=y_0\), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle C=y_0-F\left(x_0 \right)\) thus:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=F(x)+y_0-F\left(x_0 \right)\)

which we may rewrite as:

\(\displaystyle y(x)-y_0=F(x)-F\left(x_0 \right)\)

Now, we may rewrite this, using the anti-derivative form of the fundamental theorem of calculus, as:

\(\displaystyle \int_{y_0}^{y(x)}\,dy=\int_{x_0}^{x}f(x)\,dx\)

Now, since the variable of integration gets integrated out, it is therefore considered a "dummy variable" and since it is considered good form not to use the same variable in the boundaries as we use for integration, we may switch these dummy variables and write:

\(\displaystyle \int_{y_0}^{y(x)}\,du=\int_{x_0}^{x}f(v)\,dv\)

This demonstrates that the two methods are equivalent.

Using the boundaries (the initial and final values) in the limits of integration eliminates the need to solve for the constant of integration, and I find it a more intuitive and cleaner approach to separable initial value problems.

FAQ: Differential equations and initial value problems

1. What are differential equations and initial value problems?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. Initial value problems are a type of differential equation that involves finding a solution that satisfies a given set of initial conditions.

2. What is the purpose of solving differential equations and initial value problems?

The main purpose of solving differential equations and initial value problems is to model and understand real-world phenomena. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to make predictions and analyze systems.

3. What are the different methods for solving differential equations and initial value problems?

Some common methods for solving differential equations and initial value problems include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods such as numerical methods and Laplace transforms may also be used depending on the complexity of the problem.

4. How do you verify the solution to a differential equation or initial value problem?

To verify the solution to a differential equation or initial value problem, you can substitute the solution into the original equation and check if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also take the derivative of the solution and compare it to the original equation to ensure they are equivalent.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations and initial value problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of differential equations and initial value problems. Some examples include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing the motion of objects, and designing electrical circuits.