Differential Equations: Finding dy/dx from dx/dt and dy/dt

In summary, the problem involves a goose flying towards its nest with a constant speed relative to the air and a wind blowing in the north direction. Using the chain rule and the equations for the goose's position, it can be shown that the ratio of the wind speed to the goose's speed is equal to the slope of the goose's flight path. This is represented by the equation dy/dx = (y - k√(x^2 + y^2))/x, where k = w/v0.
djh101

Homework Statement

A goose starts in flight a miles due east of its nest. Assume that the goose maintains constant flight speed (relative to the air) so that it is always flying directly toward its nest. The wind is blowing due north at w miles per hour. Figure 8 shows a coordinate frame with the nest at (0,0) and the goose at (x,y). It is easily seen that

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = -v0cosθ
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = w - v0sinθ

Show that

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{y - k\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}}}{x}[/itex]

where k = w/v0, the ratio of the wind speed to the speed of the goose.

Homework Equations

See Above

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how the above can be the solution. x' and y' are constant so dx/dy should just be y/x, shouldn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
djh101 said:
I don't see how the above can be the solution. x' and y' are constant so dx/dy should just be y/x, shouldn't it?
What makes you say x' and y' are constants? They both depend on θ.

Use the chain rule to get an expression for dy/dx (this is trivial), then use x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ.

Sorry, I meant their rates of change are constant. Since the goose is always flying directly towards its nest, θ shouldn't change.

djh101 said:
Since the goose is always flying directly towards its nest, θ shouldn't change.

This would be true is w=0.

Perhaps better way to say it would be that the goose is always trying to fly towards its nest.

I figured out, the wording was just a little confusing. I guess what they meant is that it was always going towards the nest (i.e. forward, not backward) and wen't straight (i.e. no turns on the z-axis), not necessarily in a straight line, though. Thanks for your help, I figured it out after plugging in for sin and cos.

Related to Differential Equations: Finding dy/dx from dx/dt and dy/dt

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various phenomena in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

What is dy/dx?

dy/dx, also known as the derivative of y with respect to x, represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function y with respect to its independent variable x. In other words, it measures how much y changes for a small change in x.

How do you find dy/dx from dx/dt and dy/dt?

To find dy/dx from dx/dt and dy/dt, we can use the chain rule from calculus. We first rewrite the given equations in terms of x and y, then substitute them into the chain rule formula dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt).

Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that an explicit formula for the solution can be found. However, many differential equations do not have analytic solutions, and numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of real-life phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and motion of objects. They are also essential in engineering fields, such as designing bridges, buildings, and aircrafts.