Differential Equations-linear dependence of homogenous equations/genEq

• Thread starter cookiemnstr510510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Differential
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a constant multiple of Y2(t) and the concept of intervals. It is concluded that the ratio of the two functions, e^(3t) and e^(-4t), is not constant and therefore they are not linearly dependent.
cookiemnstr510510
Homework Statement
Use definition 1 to determine whether functions Y1 and Y2 are linearly dependent on the interval (0,1). Y1=e^(3t), Y2=e^(-4t)
Relevant Equations
Definiton 1: We say Y1 and Y2 are linearly dependent on I if one of them is a constant multiple of the other on all of I
Here is my attempt at the solution:
Y1(t)=kY2(t)→e^(3t)=ke^(-4t)→(e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))=k→e^(7t)=k

So I have found a constant multiple of Y2(t), its the whole "interval" part that I don't get.
The interval is (0,1), I guess I don't really know what they are trying to say...are they saying from 0 to 1 on the x-axis this thing has to be defined? if so then e^7(0)=1 which is on that interval, but e^7(1)=a very large number which is not on that interval?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have shown that the ratio of the two functions is ##e^{7t}##, which is not constant since it depends on ##t##. So one is not a constant multiple of the other and they are not linearly dependent.

Likes cookiemnstr510510
Ahhhhh, okay. that makes a lot of sense 😂!
Thank you.

Related to Differential Equations-linear dependence of homogenous equations/genEq

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable.

2. What is linear dependence in differential equations?

Linear dependence in differential equations refers to the relationship between two or more functions in which one function can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. This means that the dependent variable can be written as a linear combination of the independent variables.

3. What is a homogeneous equation in differential equations?

A homogeneous equation in differential equations is one in which all the terms involve the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the equation can be expressed in terms of the dependent variable and its derivatives only, without any other independent variables.

4. What is a general solution in differential equations?

A general solution in differential equations is a solution that contains all possible solutions to a given differential equation. It includes all the constants and variables that satisfy the equation, and it can be used to find specific solutions by substituting specific values for the constants.

5. How does linear dependence affect the solutions of homogeneous equations?

Linear dependence affects the solutions of homogeneous equations by reducing the number of independent solutions. This means that for a set of linearly dependent solutions, only one solution is needed to represent the entire set. In other words, the solutions are not unique and can be expressed as a linear combination of each other.