Differential Equations (particular solutions)

In summary: This ensures linear independence of the solutions of both equations, allowing us to add the particular solution to the general solution of the homogeneous equation to get the general solution of the nonhomogeneous equation. In summary, the forms of Yp for the given differential equations are:1. Yp(x) = e^(3x)(ax^2 + bx + c)2. Yp(x) = a*cos(2x) + b*sin(2x)3. Yp(x) = (ax + b)*cos(3x) + (cx + d)*sin(3x)
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Differential Equations help: Given Y'' + 16Y = f(x)?
1. If f(x) = 2x^2*e^(3x), give the form of Yp.
2. If f(x) = cos(2x) ,give the form of Yp.
3. If f(x) = 5x*cos(3x), give the form of Yp

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
According to a well known theorem if $$y^{(n)}+a_{n-1}y^{(n-1)}+\ldots+a_1y'+a_0y=f(x)\;(E)$$ with $f(x)=e^{\alpha x}\left(P_k(x)\cos \beta x+Q_r(x)\sin \beta x\right)$, a particular solution of $(E)$ has the form: $$y_p(x)=x^se^{\alpha x}\left(\tilde{P_d}(x)\cos \beta x+\tilde{Q_d}(x)\sin \beta x\right)$$ where $(i)$ $\tilde{P_d},\tilde{Q_d}$ are polynomials of degree $d=\max \left\{{k,r}\right\}$. $(ii)$ $s$ is the order of $\alpha +\beta i$ as a root of the characteristic equation $\lambda^n+a_{n-1}\lambda^{n-1}+\ldots+a_1\lambda+a_0=0$. In our case, $\lambda^2+16=0\Leftrightarrow \alpha+\beta i=\pm4i$. So,

1. If $f(x)=2x^2e^{3x}$, then $y_p(x)=e^{3x}(ax^2+bx+c)$.

2. If $f(x)=\cos 2x$, then $y_p(x)=a\cos 2x+b\sin 2x$.

3. If $f(x)=5x\cos 3x$, then $y_p(x)=(ax+b)\cos \color{red}3x+(cx+d)\sin \color{red}3x$.

Last edited:
One may also employ the annihilator method to determine the forms of the particular solutions.

1.) \(\displaystyle f(x)=2x^2e^{3x}\)

If we observe that the differential operator $A$ defined as:

\(\displaystyle A\equiv(D-3)^3\)

annihilates $f(x)$, then we know the particular solution, with the characteristic root $r=3$ of multiplicity 3, must have the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=c_1e^{3x}+c_2xe^{3x}+c_3x^2e^{3x}=\left(c_1+c_2x+c_3x^2 \right)e^{3x}\)

2.) \(\displaystyle f(x)=\cos(2x)\)

\(\displaystyle A\equiv D^2+4\)

annihilates $f(x)$, then we know the particular solution, with the characteristic roots $r=\pm2i$, must have the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=c_1\cos(2x)+c_2\sin(2x)\)

3.) \(\displaystyle f(x)=5x\cos(3x)\)

\(\displaystyle A\equiv(D^2+9)^2\)

annihilates $f(x)$, then we know the particular solution, with the characteristic roots $r=\pm3i$, both of multiplicity 2, must have the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=\left(c_1+c_2x \right)\cos(3x)+\left(c_3+c_4x \right)\sin(3x)\)

In all 3 cases, we see that the characteristic roots of the differential operator are different from those of the associated homogeneous equation.

FAQ: Differential Equations (particular solutions)

1. What is a particular solution in differential equations?

A particular solution in differential equations is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions for a differential equation. It is different from the general solution, which includes all possible solutions to the equation.

2. How do you find the particular solution to a differential equation?

To find the particular solution, you first need to solve the differential equation using various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. Then, use the given initial conditions to determine the specific values of the constants in the general solution, thus obtaining the particular solution.

3. Can a particular solution be unique?

Yes, a particular solution can be unique if the given initial conditions are specific enough to determine the values of all constants in the general solution. However, in some cases, the constants may have multiple solutions, resulting in more than one particular solution.

4. What is the significance of particular solutions in real-life applications?

Particular solutions are essential in real-life applications as they provide specific values for the variables in a differential equation that describe the behavior of a system. These solutions can be used to make predictions and analyze the behavior of a system over time.

5. Are there any techniques for finding particular solutions without solving the differential equation?

Yes, there are some techniques for finding particular solutions without solving the differential equation. These include the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters, which can be used for specific types of differential equations without solving the entire equation.