Differential equations- simultaneous equations

In summary, the student is struggling to form a simultaneous equation from two given equations and solve for the values of du/dx and dv/dx. They have attempted various methods, including working backwards from the answers, but have not been successful. However, they have eventually figured out their mistake and found the correct solution.
Jenkz

Homework Statement

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/cimg5162f.jpg/

This isn't the usual format, so I hope it's still ok. It's just easier than writing it out on here. I can't work out how to form a simultaneous equation from (1) and (2).

When solved it should form the du/dx and dv/dx answers written.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to work backwards from the answers, but I still can't figure it out. I've also tried re-arranging (1) to find du/dx or dv/dx and subbing into (2) and trying to re-arrange, but I can't get the answers either.

Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I've got it now. Just a stupid mistake.

Related to Differential equations- simultaneous equations

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space, and is commonly used to model various physical phenomena.

2. What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations that have multiple unknown variables and must be solved together. The solution to a simultaneous equation is a set of values that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

3. How are differential equations and simultaneous equations related?

Differential equations and simultaneous equations are related in that a set of simultaneous equations can be converted into a single differential equation. This is known as a system of differential equations.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable and its derivatives, whereas partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables and their derivatives. Ordinary differential equations are typically used to model one-dimensional systems, while partial differential equations are used for higher-dimensional systems.

5. How are differential equations and simultaneous equations used in science?

Differential equations and simultaneous equations are fundamental tools used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. They also allow scientists to understand and control various physical processes and phenomena.