Differential Equations - Variation of Parameters problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of variation of parameters to solve a differential equation problem. The individual asking the question also shares their attempt at solving the problem and asks for feedback. The other person points out a mistake in the solution and suggests being more careful when working on these types of problems.
Nubcakes
As the name suggest, this problem is an undetermined coefficients problems where variation of parameters is necessary to solve. As with my previous question; This is not a homework problem, but it is out of the textbook so I figured this would be the appropriate place to ask if I am doing it correctly.

Here is the initial problem where one is asked to find the general solution;
46-5q.gif

I know there are at least 4 different approaches to this problem, but nearly all will not work well on other similar problems. However, from what I can understand the "Variation of Parameters" technique can be used to solve almost any differential Equation problem in this format so long as you do not encounter an impossible-to-solve integral EXA:{ln(ln(x))}

That being said; here is my attempt at the problem using "Variation of Parameters";
46-5.gif
Simple question; Did I do it right? If not where did I screw up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nubcakes said:
As the name suggest, this problem is an undetermined coefficients problems where variation of parameters is necessary to solve.

No, "undetermined coefficients" and "variation of parameters" are two completely different methods of find a specific solution to a non-homogeneous linear equation.

In your equation for v'2 you seem to have neglected a factor of cos(x) on the right. You have cos2(x) from the differential equation. To solve for v2' you have to multiply by another cos(x). You should have v2'= cos3(x).

Whoops... I should have caught that that problem with V2. Anyway thanks for the help, got to remember to keep a close eye on everything in these problems... its pretty easy to loose track of parts of the problem since there are so many parts.

FAQ: Differential Equations - Variation of Parameters problem

What is the Variation of Parameters method for solving differential equations?

The Variation of Parameters method is a technique used to solve nonhomogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by multiplying the given homogeneous solutions by unknown functions and then solving for those functions.

When should the Variation of Parameters method be used?

The Variation of Parameters method should be used when the given differential equation is nonhomogeneous and the coefficients are not constant. It is also useful when the method of undetermined coefficients cannot be applied.

What are the steps involved in using the Variation of Parameters method?

The steps involved in using the Variation of Parameters method are:

1. Find the homogeneous solutions to the given differential equation.
  2. Multiply each homogeneous solution by an unknown function.
  3. Substitute these multiplied solutions into the original equation and solve for the unknown functions.
  4. Add the particular solutions together to get the general solution.

How does the Variation of Parameters method differ from the method of undetermined coefficients?

The Variation of Parameters method differs from the method of undetermined coefficients in that it can be applied to nonhomogeneous equations with variable coefficients, while the method of undetermined coefficients can only be applied to equations with constant coefficients.

What are the advantages of using the Variation of Parameters method?

The Variation of Parameters method allows for the solution of nonhomogeneous differential equations with variable coefficients, which cannot be solved using the method of undetermined coefficients. It also provides a more general solution compared to the method of undetermined coefficients, as it includes all possible solutions for the unknown functions.