Differential form of distances and some other doubts

In summary, when dealing with distances and volumes in the differential form, it is often written as dV = dxdydz instead of just V = xyz. This is because the differential form allows for more precise measurements and can be used in more complex situations. Similarly, in equations involving static equilibrium, the differential part represents a more precise measurement and is necessary for understanding the concept fully. The understanding of these concepts is typically covered in Calculus courses such as Mathematical Analysis I, II, and III. However, the focus in these courses may vary, with some emphasizing the analytical part and others focusing on the meaning and graphical interpretation of derivatives.
An1MuS
1) In a lot of instances i see distances and volumes written in the differential form. For instance
[tex] dV = dxdydz [/tex] Why not just write it as V = xyz (or any other letters, but not in the differential form)?

In the image below, dx seems to be the inital length in x axis, and dy in the y axis. Why not just name them x and y ?

hKp68.jpg

2) In trying to have the static equilibrium of a solid, we sum up the tensions and external forces acting on it. I understand from the image below for the o-x direction, [tex]\sigma_{xx} -\sigma_{xx} + F_x=0[/tex]

but i don't understand the meaning of the differential part.

L08gW.jpg

n4ank.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your two questions are really the same. If you understood "the differential part" of (2), you would also understand (1).

What Calculus courses have you done? To answer these questions, I think we need to know what you know already.

Where i live my calculus courses are divided into 3 parts, Mathematical Analysis I, II and III. I have done I and II, which means i studied up until triple integrals, higher derivatives, and a lot of other related topics and probably should already know the meaning of this. However in my courses when studying derivatives we focused mainly on the analytical part and not on the meaning of them, and the graphical interpretation. At least that's what i remember, since it was some years ago.

Related to Differential form of distances and some other doubts

What is the differential form of distance?

The differential form of distance is a mathematical representation of the distance between two points in a space. It is typically written as ds and is defined as the square root of the sum of the squares of the differentials of each coordinate. In other words, it is a way to measure the infinitesimal change in distance between two nearby points.

How is the differential form of distance different from the traditional distance formula?

The traditional distance formula, also known as the Pythagorean theorem, is used to calculate the distance between two points in a straight line. The differential form of distance, on the other hand, takes into account the infinitesimal changes in each coordinate and can be used to calculate the distance in curved spaces or along curved paths.

What are some applications of the differential form of distance?

The differential form of distance is commonly used in various branches of mathematics, such as calculus, differential geometry, and physics. It is also used in practical applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object in a curved space or the length of a curve on a surface.

What are some other doubts related to the differential form of distance?

Some other common doubts related to the differential form of distance may include its use in different coordinate systems, its relationship to other mathematical concepts such as gradients and line integrals, and its connection to the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Is the differential form of distance relevant in everyday life?

While the differential form of distance may not have direct applications in everyday life, its underlying concepts and principles are used in various fields of study and can help us better understand the world around us. For example, understanding the concept of infinitesimal changes can aid in understanding complex systems and predicting their behavior.