Differential forms, abstrakt algebra

In summary: Sf=∫S∗f=\int_0^2\pi\int_0^{\pi}\frac{E}{\pi}\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}sin\theta d\theta d\phi=\frac{E}{\pi}\int_0^2\pi\int_0^{\pi}\frac{1}{r^2}sin\theta d\theta d\phi=\frac{E}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^2\pi\frac{1}{r^2}sin\theta d\phi d\theta=\frac{E}{\pi}4\pi\int_0^
rayman123

Homework Statement

Here is my problem
http://i51.tinypic.com/34dihx5.jpg

However my teacher had some suggestions of solving this problem in a nice mathematical way. Here is the plan of solving which I would like to follow

1) find the Hodge dual to f
2) compute df
3) is f exact?
4) is f closed?
5) compute [tex] d^+f[/tex] (I do not know what he means with this one)
6) integrate f over a sphere
7) conclusions? f is a harmonical non-trivial 2-form.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with these steps.
I start with 1)
Finding a Hodge dual is to operate with the operator * on f, right?
[tex] *f=\frac{E}{4\pi}(\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dy\wedge dz+\frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dz\wedge dx+\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dx\wedge dy)= \frac{E}{4\pi}}(\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dx+ \frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dy[/tex]
[tex]+\frac{z}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dz[/tex] so we have showed that our 2-form is represented now by the dual 1-form.
this can be somehow writter in a shorter way [tex] *f=\frac{E}{\pi}\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

2) find df , should we simply differentiate f with respect to x,y,z? by the way it must be [tex]df=0[/tex]

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
me with the rest steps.Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution 1) *f=\frac{E}{4\pi}}(\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dx+ \frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dy+\frac{z}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}dz so we have showed that our 2-form is represented now by the dual 1-form.this can be somehow writter in a shorter way *f=\frac{E}{\pi}\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} 2) df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} dz = \frac{E}{4\pi}(-\frac{3x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}dx\wedge dy\wedge dz-\frac{3y^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}dy\wedge dz\wedge dx-\frac{3z^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}dz\wedge dx\wedge dy)3) Since df does not equal 0, f is not exact.4) Since df does not equal 0, f is not closed.5) I'm not sure what this means. I'm assuming it means to calculate the exterior derivative of f, which is given by d^+f=df.6) To integrate f over a sphere, we need to use the formula ∫Sf=∫S∗f. We can use this formula to calculate the integral. We know that ∗f=\frac{E}{\pi}\frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}, so the integral becomes:

FAQ: Differential forms, abstrakt algebra

1. What are differential forms?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used to describe geometric quantities such as length, area, and volume. They are a generalization of the concept of a function, representing the value of a function at each point in a space.

2. How are differential forms used in physics?

In physics, differential forms are used to describe physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force and torque. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of theories such as electromagnetism and general relativity.

3. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is concerned with the properties and operations that are common to all these structures, rather than specific numbers or equations.

4. How are abstract algebra and differential forms related?

The theory of differential forms is built on the concepts of abstract algebra, particularly multilinear algebra and exterior algebra. These algebraic structures allow for the manipulation and calculation of differential forms, making them essential tools in the study of geometry and physics.

5. Why are differential forms important?

Differential forms provide a powerful and elegant language for describing geometric objects and their properties. They are also crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, topology, and mathematical physics.

Back