Differential Geometry book on 3D Euclidn space - worth reading?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who bought a book on Differential Geometry and is questioning its usefulness since it is focused on three-dimensional Euclidean space. Recommendations for other books on the subject are given, including Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler and Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell by Zee. The person is reassured that the book they bought will still be useful, particularly for understanding the basics of the subject. Another book suggestion is provided - a book by Darling that covers local surface theory and more advanced mathematical concepts without requiring a background in topology.
quantum_smile
I bought a book (Differential Geometry by Kreyszig) based on really good reviews because I'm planning to learn general relativity later. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the description because apparently it's completely focused on "three-dimensional Euclidean space."

Will this book even be worth reading even though it's so limited to Euclidean space? If not, could someone recommend another a differential geometry book that may have solutions available (so that it's okay for self-study)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The classic book on GR: Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler covers tensor analysis, differential forms in the context of 4D differerntial geometry.

Another really good book is Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell by Zee which is fairly recent and covers a lot of new material not in Wheelers book.

I think Kreyszigs book will still be useful though because we still think in 3D to understand the concepts before we extend them to other dimensions.

from my reading of the books contents, it is rather focused entirely on differential geometry of curves and surfaces, which I think is quite basic and central to understanding the subject.

Okay, awesome. I guess I'll get to work on it. Thanks!

As well as being a fun subject on its own, studying the "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" should give you some intuition about curvature.

If you want a book that also covers local surface theory but then ramps up to some pretty sophisticated math (fiber bundles and gauge theory), but without a background in topology needed, there's the book by Darling:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521468000/?tag=pfamazon01-20

FAQ: Differential Geometry book on 3D Euclidn space - worth reading?

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in multi-dimensional spaces. It uses techniques from calculus and linear algebra to understand the geometric properties of objects in space.

2. Why is it important to study differential geometry in 3D Euclidean space?

3D Euclidean space is the most common space that we encounter in our daily lives, making it a relevant and practical application for differential geometry. It also serves as a stepping stone for understanding more complex spaces and concepts in mathematics and physics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a differential geometry book on 3D Euclidean space?

A differential geometry book on 3D Euclidean space will cover topics such as curves, surfaces, curvature, vector fields, and differential forms. It may also touch on applications of differential geometry in physics and engineering.

4. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary to understand a differential geometry book on 3D Euclidean space?

While a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful, a strong background in mathematics is not necessary to understand a differential geometry book on 3D Euclidean space. The book will typically provide a thorough explanation of the mathematical concepts and techniques used.

5. Can a differential geometry book on 3D Euclidean space be useful for non-mathematicians?

Yes, a differential geometry book on 3D Euclidean space can be useful for non-mathematicians who are interested in understanding the geometric properties of objects in space. It can also be beneficial for those in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.