[Differential Geometry of Curves] Regular Closed Curve function

In summary, the conversation discusses a parametrized curve and its relationship with a sine function. The goal is to determine a maximum value for epsilon (ε) that will result in a closed regular curve without intersecting itself. Additionally, for a circle with radius r, it is proven that μ(u) will not intersect itself for any ε < r and the interior area of this curve can be calculated as a function of r and ε. The conversation also mentions the use of trigonometry in solving this problem.
cheersdup

Homework Statement

Let m : [0,L] --> ℝ2 be a C2 regular closed curve parametrized with arc length, and define, for an integer n > 0 and scalar ε > 2

μ(u) = m(u) + εsin(2nπu/L)Nm(u)

where Nm is the unit normal to m

(1) Determine a maximum ε0 such that μ is a closed regular curve for any ε < ε0

(2) Assume that m is a circle centered at 0 with radius r > 0
Prove that μ is non intersecting for any ε < r
Compute its interior area as a function of r and ε

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

I think μ(u) is like some scalar of a sine function moving around the original curve. Essentially I need to find a large enough amplitude ε such that μ(u) intersects itself in the middle of m(u).

It also seems that ε0 must be smaller than the radius of the bitangent circle of m(u)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
because if it was larger then μ(u) would intersect itself in the middle of m(u).For part (2) I'm not sure how to approach it. I'm guessing I have to use some trigonometry but I'm not sure what.

Related to [Differential Geometry of Curves] Regular Closed Curve function

1. What is a regular closed curve function in differential geometry?

A regular closed curve function is a mathematical function that describes a curve in space that is continuous, smooth, and has no self-intersections. In differential geometry, a curve is considered regular if it has a non-zero tangent vector at every point along the curve.

2. What are some examples of regular closed curve functions?

Some examples of regular closed curve functions include circles, ellipses, and various spiral curves. These curves have a constant curvature and do not intersect themselves.

3. How is the curvature of a regular closed curve function calculated?

The curvature of a regular closed curve function is calculated by taking the derivative of the tangent vector at each point along the curve. This derivative is then divided by the magnitude of the tangent vector to get the curvature at that point.

4. What is the significance of regular closed curve functions in differential geometry?

Regular closed curve functions play an important role in differential geometry as they are used to study the properties of curves in space, such as curvature, torsion, and arc length. They also help in the development of geometric models for physical phenomena and can be applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. How are regular closed curve functions applied in real-life situations?

Regular closed curve functions have various applications in real-life situations, such as designing roller coaster tracks, analyzing the flow of fluids in pipes, and modeling the motion of objects in space. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic curves in animations and video games.