Differential Geometry Question

In summary, Frenet equations provide the curvature and torsion of a unit-speed non-degenerate space curve. Differentiating the equation yields a vector a with a constant c and d. The dot product of a with t yields ct.
Dahaka14

Homework Statement

Find an explicit unit-speed non-degenerate space curve [tex]\vec{r}:(0,\infinity)\rightarrow\Re^{3}[/tex] whose curvature and torsion [tex]\kappa,\tau:(0,\infinity)\rightarrow\Re[/tex] are given by the functions [tex]\kappa(s)=\tau(s)=\frac{1}{s}[/tex].

Homework Equations

the only thing that I can think of that would help us here are the Frenet equations:
[tex]t'=\kappa n[/tex]
[tex]n'=-\kappa t -\tau b[/tex]
[tex]b'=\tau n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we are to have [tex]\kappa(s)=\tau(s)=\frac{1}{s}[/tex], then we must have
[tex]t'=\frac{1}{s} t[/tex] and
[tex]b'=\frac{1}{s} t[/tex], thus
[tex]t'=b'[/tex]. I'm not sure what to do after this point, as I messed with these equations for awhile to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dahaka14

from your frenet equations you have
[tex]\textbf{t}'=\kappa \textbf{n}[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{b}'=-\tau \textbf{n}[/tex]

write down a vector a, with some constants c & d we will choose
[tex]\textbf{a}= c\textbf{t} + d \textbf{n}[/tex]

differentiating
[tex]\textbf{a}'= c.\textbf{t}' + d .\textbf{b}'= c .\kappa .\textbf{n} - d.\tau .\textbf{n} = \frac{1}{s} (c-d) \textbf{n}[/tex]

so choose c=d and the vector a is constant, might as well make a a unit vector so set:
[tex]c = d = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

now think about the dot product of a with t and what this means...
hopefully this helps you get started...

The dot product should give
[tex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{t}=c\textbf{t}\cdot\textbf{t}=\frac{\textbf{t}\cdot\textbf{t}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. The only thing that I have been able to think of is that perhaps the curve should be a helix, since a helix is such that [tex]\frac{\tau}{\kappa}[/tex] is constant.

Edit: that LaTeX image should have:
torsion/curvature=constant

yeah i think you are on the right track, as i understand it a general helix is defined as when [tex]\frac{\tau}{\kappa}[/tex] is constant, which is equivalent to the tangent vector making a constant angle with some vector, say a, which is what your dot product shows as t.t = 1

Not 100% where to go, but picking an aribtrary (a), then for s=0, a starting t which matches your dot product could be a good place to start

Related to Differential Geometry Question

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using calculus and linear algebra. It involves concepts such as curvature, tangent spaces, and geodesics.

How is differential geometry used in real life?

Differential geometry has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the shapes of objects in the real world, such as the Earth's surface, planetary orbits, and the design of structures.

What are some key concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include manifolds, which are spaces that locally resemble Euclidean space, and differential forms, which are mathematical objects that can be integrated over a manifold to measure its properties.

What is the difference between differential geometry and differential calculus?

Differential geometry is a more advanced branch of mathematics that builds upon the concepts of differential calculus. While differential calculus focuses on the study of rates of change and derivatives, differential geometry extends these concepts to study the geometry of curves and surfaces.

Can differential geometry be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, differential geometry can be applied to higher dimensions beyond the three dimensions we experience in our everyday lives. In fact, it is often used in the study of abstract spaces with many dimensions, known as manifolds, which have important applications in fields such as physics and topology.