Differential Input Resistance - MOSFET Diff Amp

In summary, The conversation was about determining the differential input resistance (Rid), output resistance (Ro), and gain (Ad) of a MOSFET differential amplifier circuit. The question was whether the differential input resistance would be infinite for a MOSFET due to the capacitance between the gate and source. It was concluded that Rid would be infinite and that additional information, such as the value of V_d, was needed to determine Ad and Ro.
00iCon
So I've been lurking here for a while now, always checking other's solutions but this one has just got me stumped.

Skill level: 3rd year electronic circuit design (about the level expected in Sedra & Smith from chapter 3 onwards)

Homework Statement

For the MOSFET differential amplifier in the above figure(check attachments), draw the small
signal model. Determine the differential input resistance (Rid), output resistance (Ro) and
gain (Ad) of the circuit when v_1 = v_d/2 and v_2 = -v_d/2.

Homework Equations

For a BJT:
R_id = 2 r_pi

The Attempt at a Solution

There's only one bit that I'm trying to wrap my head around. The differential input resistance. As a MOSFET there's only a capacitance between the gate and the source. Despite whatever resistance we put in, the capacitance causes the entire v_1 to be at the gate, since no current flows out of the gate.

Using the formula for a BJT's R_id but substituting r_pi to be an open circuit (R= infinite) is R_id infinite? Is it a trick question? (The bit that has me hesitating is the lecturer underlined the word differential).

(attachments are my small signal model and the circuit from the question)

Attachments

• MOSFET differential amp Small Signal.jpg
    MOSFET differential amp Small Signal.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 851
  • MOSFET differential amp.jpg
    MOSFET differential amp.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 627
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Rid = infinity, that you can bank on.

V_d is undefined.

Are M3 and M4 p-channel?

I don't do small-signal models but I could determine Ad and Ro if I knew what Vd was.

Thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected. That's all I needed. The other stuff was covered in lectures ant tutes. V_d was not given, I'm pretty sure we have to do it in terms of V_d.

Related to Differential Input Resistance - MOSFET Diff Amp

1. What is differential input resistance?

Differential input resistance refers to the resistance exhibited by a circuit when different signals are applied to its inputs. In the context of a MOSFET differential amplifier, it is the resistance seen at the inputs of the amplifier when two different input signals are applied.

2. How is differential input resistance calculated?

The differential input resistance of a MOSFET differential amplifier can be calculated by dividing the change in input voltage by the change in input current. It is also affected by the biasing conditions of the amplifier, as well as the characteristics of the MOSFETs used.

3. Why is differential input resistance important?

Differential input resistance is an important parameter in differential amplifiers as it determines the gain and linearity of the amplifier. It also affects the overall performance and stability of the amplifier.

4. How does differential input resistance differ from common-mode input resistance?

Differential input resistance refers to the resistance seen at the inputs when two different signals are applied, while common-mode input resistance refers to the resistance seen at the inputs when the same signal is applied to both inputs. Differential input resistance is typically higher than common-mode input resistance in MOSFET differential amplifiers.

5. How can I improve the differential input resistance of a MOSFET differential amplifier?

The differential input resistance of a MOSFET differential amplifier can be improved by using MOSFETs with higher transconductance and by optimizing the biasing conditions of the amplifier. Additionally, using a cascode configuration or adding a current source can also improve the differential input resistance.