Differentiate e^(a^2 z) with respect to z

In summary, the formula for differentiating e^(a^2 z) with respect to z is simply a^2e^(a^2 z). To solve for the derivative, the chain rule is used where the derivative of the exponent, a^2, is multiplied by the original function. Differentiating with respect to z allows for finding the slope or rate of change of the function. The derivative can be simplified to a^2e^(a^2 z). The general rule for differentiating exponential functions is to take the derivative of the exponent and multiply it by the original function, expressed as d/dx(e^u) = u'e^u.
UrbanXrisis
I am to differentiate with respect to z, where a is independent of z... (am assuming that that a is a constant?)

a. [tex]e^{a^2 z}[/tex]=diff=>[tex]a^2 e^{a^2 z}[/tex]

b.[tex]e^{ia z}=cos(az)+isin(az)[/tex]=diff=>[tex]-sin(az)+icos(az)[/tex]

c. [tex](e^{-i z})^2=cos(2z)-isin(2z)[/tex]=diff=>[tex]-sin(2z)-icos(2z)[/tex]

d. [tex]e^{-iz^2}[/tex]=diff=>[tex]-sin(z^2)-icos(z^2)[/tex]

e. [tex]e^{az}+e^{-az}[/tex]=diff=>[tex]ae^{az}+-ae^{-az}[/tex]

do these look alright?

Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
(am assuming that that a is a constant?

Whatever it is, it does not depend on z, so when z changes, a does not change. That's the definition of "constant".

Double check b,c,d; you're forgetting the derivative of the interior (chain rule).

note: you don't need to write e^ix in temrs of cis(x) b4 taking the derivativ; complex exponentials differentiate like regular ones, i.e.

(e^iax)' = ia(e^iax)

Last edited:
for b.
[tex]-azsin(az)+azicos(az)[/tex]

for c.
[tex]2isin(2z)-2cos(2z)[/tex]

for d.
[tex]-4z(icos(z^2)+sin(z^2))+2(cos(z^2)-isin(z^2))[/tex]

how does it look?

let me correct myself:
for b:
[tex]-asin(az)+aicos(az)[/tex]

for c:
[tex]-2sin(2z)-i2cos(2z)[/tex]

for d:
[tex]-2z(sin(z^2)+icos(z^2))[/tex]

UrbanXrisis said:
let me correct myself:
for b:
[tex]-asin(az)+aicos(az)[/tex]

for c:
[tex]-2sin(2z)-i2cos(2z)[/tex]

for d:
[tex]-2z(sin(z^2)+icos(z^2))[/tex]
Looks good. But as quasar987 said before, just try to differentiate it without changing to cis function.
[tex](e ^ {iaz})' = ia e ^ {iaz}[/tex], which is a lot easier, right? This answer is exactly the same as yours:
[tex]ia e ^ {iaz} = ia (\cos (az) + i \sin (az)) = ia \cos (az) - a \sin (az)[/tex]

FAQ: Differentiate e^(a^2 z) with respect to z

What is the formula for differentiating e^(a^2 z) with respect to z?

The formula for differentiating e^(a^2 z) with respect to z is simply a^2e^(a^2 z).

How do you solve for the derivative of e^(a^2 z) with respect to z?

To solve for the derivative of e^(a^2 z) with respect to z, you need to use the chain rule, where you first take the derivative of the exponent, a^2, and then multiply it by the original function, e^(a^2 z). This results in a^2e^(a^2 z).

Why is it important to differentiate e^(a^2 z) with respect to z?

Differentiating e^(a^2 z) with respect to z allows us to find the slope or rate of change of the function at any given point. This is useful in understanding the behavior of the function and can be applied in many areas of science and mathematics.

Can the derivative of e^(a^2 z) with respect to z be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of e^(a^2 z) with respect to z can be simplified to a^2e^(a^2 z).

What is the general rule for differentiating exponential functions?

The general rule for differentiating exponential functions is to take the derivative of the exponent and multiply it by the original function. This can also be expressed as d/dx(e^u) = u'e^u.

Back