Differentiation/integration of two variables

• Thread starter Hobold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation and integration of a function H = H(x,y), with a given condition that \left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial y} \right )_x = \left (\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right )_y. The speaker is struggling with the concept of integrating a partial derivative when one variable is held constant. However, they realize that their question is not valid as it goes against the fundamental principles of differentiation and integration.
Hobold
Though this problem came to me when studying thermodynamics, it's purely mathematical and seems to be easy, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Suppose I have a function H = H(x,y). Differentiating this function I get:

[tex]dH = \left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial x} \right )_y dx + \left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial y} \right )_x dy
[/tex]

in which the subscript means that x or y is taken constant during the operation.

It is also given that [tex] \left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial y} \right )_x = \left (\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right )_y [/tex]

so

[tex] dH = \left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial x} \right )_y dx + \left (\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right )_y dy [/tex]

When I integrate from (x0,y0) to (x1,y1) I get

[tex]\int_{ (x_0,y_0)}^{ (x_1,y_1)} dH = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} dH |_{y_0} + \int_{y_0}^{y_1} dH |_{x_1} = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} \left (\frac{\partial H}{\partial x} \right )_y dx |_{y_0} + \int_{y_0}^{y_1} \left (\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right )_y dy |_{x_1} [/tex]

What is killing me is if the integral

[tex] \int_{y_0}^{y_1} \left (\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right )_y dy |_{x_1}[/tex]

is null, because in the derivative, you take y constant, but when integrating, x is constant. Therefore, as F = F(x,y) and both variables are taken constant, any partial derivative must be zero, so the integral is also zero. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I just noticed that my question makes no sense at all, as you are differentiating first then integrating.

Thanks, nonetheless.

FAQ: Differentiation/integration of two variables

1. What is the difference between differentiation and integration of two variables?

Differentiation is the process of finding the slope or rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation deals with finding instantaneous changes, while integration deals with finding cumulative changes.

2. Why is differentiation important in mathematics and science?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes over time. It is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields. It also helps us find maximum and minimum values of a function, which are crucial in optimization problems.

3. What is the role of integration in real-life applications?

Integration is used to find the total amount or accumulation of something over a period of time. It has many real-life applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, determining displacement and velocity in physics, and finding the total cost or revenue in economics. It is also used in statistics to calculate probabilities.

4. How do you differentiate and integrate two variables?

To differentiate two variables, you take the derivative of one variable with respect to the other, treating all other variables as constants. For example, if you have a function f(x,y), the partial derivative of f with respect to x would be denoted as ∂f/∂x. To integrate two variables, you need to find the antiderivative of the function with respect to one variable and then integrate with respect to the other variable.

5. Can differentiation and integration be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, differentiation and integration can be applied to functions with any number of variables. In this case, we use partial derivatives for differentiation, where we take the derivative with respect to one variable while treating the others as constants. For integration, we use multiple integrals, which involve integrating with respect to multiple variables simultaneously.