Differentiation of a trig function using quotient rule

In summary: If not, then it might be giving incorrect values for trig functions. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of \frac{sin x}{1 + cos x} using the quotient rule and simplifying the expression to \frac{1}{1 + cos x}. The person also mentions double checking their answer with a graphing calculator but finding discrepancies. The potential mistake is suggested to be the calculator being in the wrong mode.
stripes

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of [tex]\frac{sin x}{1 + cos x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Quotient rule [tex]\frac{gf' - fg'}{g^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(1 + cos x)(\frac{d}{dx}(sin x)) - sin x(\frac{d}{dx}(1 + cos x)}{(1 + cos x)^{2}}[/tex]

simplify the derivative so far:

= [tex]\frac{(1 + cos x)(cos x) - (sin x)(-sin x)}{(1 + cos x)^{2}}[/tex]

simplify further:

= [tex]\frac{cos x + cos^{2}x + sin^{2}x}{(1 + cos x)^{2}}[/tex]

Use angle identity [tex]sin^{2}x[/tex] + [tex]cos^{2}x = 1[/tex]to simplify even further:

= [tex]\frac{cos x + 1}{(1 + cos)^{2}}[/tex]

cancel out the common 1 + cos x

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{1 + cos x}[/tex]

I was quite confident in my answer, but I was a little teeny bit hesitant, so I used my graphing calculator to double check. When I did so, I found out that I was wrong, the derivative that I calculated (above) is not the actual derivative of the question.

At which step did I go wrong?

Thanks so much in advance everyone!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I don't see where the mistake is. If there is one at all. Perhaps you messed up your input in the graphics calculator?

Hi stripes! :smile:

Looks ok to me. :confused:

As a double-check, using standard trigonometric identities …

sinx/(1 + cosx) = tan(x/2), so dy/dx = 1/2 sec2(x/2) = 1/(1 + cosx).

What answer did your calculator give?​

basically, on my graphing calculator i put y1 as my original function, then y2 as the derivative that I found. I then used the calculator to find dy/dx of y1 for me at various points (maybe 1, 2, and 3), then I used the calculator to find the values of x = 1, 2, and 3 for y2 and the respective values should be the same...but they weren't!

I'm almost certain i was error free inputting the functions...I did it over and over and over!

stripes said:
basically, on my graphing calculator i put y1 as my original function, then y2 as the derivative that I found. I then used the calculator to find dy/dx of y1 for me at various points (maybe 1, 2, and 3), then I used the calculator to find the values of x = 1, 2, and 3 for y2 and the respective values should be the same...but they weren't!

I'm almost certain i was error free inputting the functions...I did it over and over and over!
Might be a dumb question, but was your calculator in radian mode?

FAQ: Differentiation of a trig function using quotient rule

1. What is the quotient rule for differentiating a trig function?

The quotient rule for differentiating a trig function is a formula used to find the derivative of a function that is the quotient of two other functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is equal to (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x))/[g(x)]^2.

2. When is the quotient rule used for differentiating a trig function?

The quotient rule is used when the function is in the form of a quotient, where the numerator and denominator are both functions of x. For example, f(x)/g(x) or sin(x)/cos(x).

3. Can the quotient rule be used to differentiate any trig function?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used to differentiate any trig function as long as it is in the form of a quotient. However, it may not always be the most efficient method and other rules such as the product or chain rule may be more suitable.

4. How is the quotient rule related to the chain rule?

The quotient rule is directly related to the chain rule because it involves differentiating two functions multiplied together. This is similar to the chain rule, where the derivative of a composite function is found by multiplying the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function.

5. Can the quotient rule be used to find higher order derivatives of trig functions?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used to find higher order derivatives of trig functions. To find the second derivative, simply apply the quotient rule to the derivative found using the quotient rule for the first derivative. This process can be repeated to find higher order derivatives.

Back