Differentiation of dot product using cartesian components

In summary, the conversation discusses using cartesian components to show that d/dt(a.b)=(da/dt).b+a.(da/dt). The solution involves the dot product and using the sum rule and product rule. It is important to pay attention to the difference between multiplying scalars and dot product.
CmbkG

Homework Statement

Show using cartesian components that

d/dt(a.b)=(da/dt).b+a.(da/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

a= axi+ayj+azk
b=bxi+byj+bzk

a.b=axbx+ayby+azbz

d/dt(a.b)= d/dt(axbx+ayby+azbz)

Physics news on Phys.org
CmbkG said:

Homework Statement

Show using cartesian components that

d/dt(a.b)=(da/dt).b+a.(da/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

a= axi+ayj+azk
b=bxi+byj+bzk

a.b=axbx+ayby+azbz

d/dt(a.b)= d/dt(axbx+ayby+azbz)
Okay, so go ahead and do that! Use the sum rule and product rule.

Heya, thanks for the reply.

So I've done that nd nw iv got

(da/dt)b+(db/dt)a

do i just put this as the dot product or have i missed out something in my equation?

CmbkG said:
Heya, thanks for the reply.

So I've done that nd nw iv got

(da/dt)b+(db/dt)a

do i just put this as the dot product or have i missed out something in my equation?

Since you're talking about putting this as a dot product I assume by writing (da/dt)b you meant some different "product" of the two vectors da/dt and b. May I inquire what exactly you were thinking of and how it is related to the dot product (which is where you started from.)

oh, i see now, i wasn't thinking of them as two vectors but as mulitplying two scalars.

i just forgot what it was i was working with, sorry.

Thanks a lot for your help though, really appreciate it.

CmbkG said:
i just forgot what it was i was working with, sorry..

It sometimes happens to be useful to pay attention to exactly this particular issue:smile:

FAQ: Differentiation of dot product using cartesian components

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

What are cartesian components?

Cartesian components are the coordinates that define a vector in three-dimensional space. They consist of three values: the x-component, the y-component, and the z-component.

How do you differentiate the dot product using cartesian components?

To differentiate the dot product using cartesian components, you can use the product rule of differentiation. This involves taking the derivative of each component separately and then adding them together.

Why is differentiating the dot product using cartesian components useful?

Differentiating the dot product using cartesian components can be useful in many applications, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to find the rate of change of a vector in a specific direction, which can be helpful in solving problems involving motion and forces.

Are there any other methods for differentiating the dot product?

Yes, there are other methods for differentiating the dot product. One method is using the geometric interpretation of the dot product, which involves finding the angle between two vectors. Another method is using the chain rule, which is useful when the vectors are functions of a variable.

Back