Differentiation of e^(-x) / ln(x)

Apologies.Cheers PetraIn summary, the conversation is about discussing the solution to the equation e^(-x)/ln(x) using the quotient rule and the resulting answer having an extra x in the numerator. The expert provides a summary of the solution and points out a mistake in the given answer. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the terminology used.
Petra de Ruyter
Hi there
Getting stuck on this equation.
e^(-x) / ln(x)

Solving it by quotient rule, however answer has extra x in numerator.
using the dy/dx = (v(du/dx)-u(dv/dx))/v^2

dy/dx = (ln(x)*-e^(-x) - (-e^(-x)*1/x)/ln(x)^2

Answer = (-e^(-x) (x ln(x)-1))/x(ln(x))^2

Would appreciate help with breaking this down. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Your result has a factor
$$ \ln x - \frac{1}{x} = \frac{ x\ln x -1}{x}$$
so it is equivalent to the form given as the answer.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, not sure that I understand your response. Can you please break it down, to show where the "x" value is coming from.

Cheers.

You wrote dy/dx = (ln(x)*-e^(-x) - (-e^(-x)*1/x)/ln(x)^2, so if I format this we have
$$ \frac{ \ln x (-e^{-x}) - (-e^{-x}) \frac{1}{x} }{ (\ln x)^2} = - \frac{e^{-x}}{ (\ln x)^2} \left( \ln x - \frac{1}{x} \right).$$
Now we can write
$$ \ln x - \frac{1}{x} = \frac{x}{x} \ln x - \frac{1}{x} = \frac{ x \ln x - 1}{x}.$$
When we put this into the previous expression, we get
$$ - \frac{e^{-x}}{ (\ln x)^2} \frac{ x \ln x - 1}{x} = - e^{-x}\frac{ x \ln x - 1}{x(\ln x)^2},$$
which is the same as the answer that you wrote as (-e^(-x) (x ln(x)-1))/x(ln(x))^2.

Many thanks for the response. Thank you. Now I get it.
Cheers

fzero said:
You wrote dy/dx = (ln(x)*-e^(-x) - (-e^(-x)*1/x)/ln(x)^2, so if I format this we have
$$ \frac{ \ln x (-e^{-x}) - (-e^{-x}) \frac{1}{x} }{ (\ln x)^2} = - \frac{e^{-x}}{ (\ln x)^2} \left( \ln x - \frac{1}{x} \right).$$
Now we can write
$$ \ln x - \frac{1}{x} = \frac{x}{x} \ln x - \frac{1}{x} = \frac{ x \ln x - 1}{x}.$$
$$ - \frac{e^{-x}}{ (\ln x)^2} \frac{ x \ln x - 1}{x} = - e^{-x}\frac{ x \ln x - 1}{x(\ln x)^2},$$
which is the same as the answer that you wrote as (-e^(-x) (x ln(x)-1))/x(ln(x))^2.
fzero said:
Now we can write

I made a mistake...should be
You wrote dy/dx = (ln(x)*-e^(-x) - (e^(-x)*1/x)/ln(x)^2

Cheers Petra

Likes pbuk
Petra de Ruyter said:
I made a mistake...should be
You wrote dy/dx = (ln(x)*-e^(-x) - (e^(-x)*1/x)/ln(x)^2

Cheers Petra

Sorry I should have caught that. From the start we have
$$ \begin{split} \frac{d}{dx} \frac{e^{-x}}{\ln x} &= \frac{1}{\ln x} \frac{d}{dx} e^{-x}+e^{-x} \frac{d}{dx} \frac{1}{\ln x} \\
& = - \frac{e^{-x}}{\ln x} - e^{-x} \frac{1}{x (\ln x)^2} \\
& = - e^{-x} \frac{1}{x (\ln x)^2} ( x\ln x +1). \end{split}$$
Are you sure there isn't a + sign in the answer that was given?

No, I've double checked the answer. It has a "-" which I don't think is correct.

Cheers Petra

Petra de Ruyter said:
Getting stuck on this equation.
e^(-x) / ln(x)
Minor point -- the above is not an equation, with the main clue being that there is no =. An equation indicates that two quantities have the same value; i.e., are equal.

My mistake, used the wrong forum category and terminology.

FAQ: Differentiation of e^(-x) / ln(x)

1. What is the derivative of e(-x) / ln(x)?

The derivative of a function is the rate of change of that function. In this case, the derivative of e(-x) / ln(x) is -1 / (x*ln(x)).

2. How is the quotient rule used to differentiate e(-x) / ln(x)?

The quotient rule states that the derivative of a quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator. In this case, the derivative of e(-x) is -e(-x) and the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x.

3. Can the chain rule be used to differentiate e(-x) / ln(x)?

Yes, the chain rule can also be used to differentiate e(-x) / ln(x). The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In this case, the outer function is ln(x) and the inner function is e(-x).

4. Is the derivative of e(-x) / ln(x) always negative?

No, the derivative of e(-x) / ln(x) is not always negative. It depends on the value of x. When x is greater than 1, the derivative is negative, but when x is between 0 and 1, the derivative is positive.

5. How does the graph of e(-x) / ln(x) change as x approaches 0 from the left and right sides?

As x approaches 0 from the left side, the graph of e(-x) / ln(x) approaches negative infinity. As x approaches 0 from the right side, the graph approaches positive infinity. This is because ln(x) approaches negative infinity as x approaches 0 from the left side and positive infinity as x approaches 0 from the right side.