Differentiation of functional integral (Blundell Quantum field theory)

Plantation
Homework Statement
$$G_0(x,y) = \frac{\int \mathcal{D}\phi \phi(x) \phi(y) e^{i\int d^4 x \mathcal{L}_0[ \phi]}}{\int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{i \int d^4x \mathcal{L}_0[\phi]}}$$
Relevant Equations
$$ G^{(n)}_0 ( x_1, \dots ,x_n) = \frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n \bar{Z}_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0}
= \frac{1}{i^n}\frac{1}{Z_0[J=0]}\frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n Z_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0}$$
I am reading the Lancaster & Blundell, Quantum field theory for gifted amateur, p.225 and stuck at understanding some derivations.

We will calculate a generating functional for the free scalar field. The free Lagrangian is given by

$$ \mathcal{L}_0 = \frac{1}{2}(\partial _\mu \phi)^2 - \frac{m^2}{2}\phi^2. \tag{24.9}$$

And in the p.224, he get expression for normalized generating functional for the free scalar field as

$$ \bar{Z}_0[J] = \frac{ \int \mathcal{D} \phi e^{\frac{i}{2} \int d^4 x \phi \{ - ( \partial^2 + m^2) \} \phi + i \int d^4x J \phi }}{\int \mathcal{D} \phi e^{\frac{i}{2} \int d^4 x \phi \{ - ( \partial^2 + m^2)\} \phi} } = e^{- \frac{1}{2} \int d^4x d^4 y J(x) \Delta(x-y)J(y)} \tag{24.17} $$

Here, ##\Delta(x,y)=\Delta(x-y)## is the free Feynman propagator (C.f. their book (17.24) (p.159) )

In the page 225, he saids that " Specifically we have for free fields that the propagator is given, in terms of the normalized generating functional, by (C.f. their book (22.8) )

$$ G^{(n)}_0 ( x_1, \dots ,x_n) = \frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n \bar{Z}_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0}
= \frac{1}{i^n}\frac{1}{Z_0[J=0]}\frac{1}{i^n} \frac{\delta^n Z_0 [J]}{\delta J(x_1) \dots \delta J(x_n)}|_{J=0} \tag{24.20}$$"

, where ##G^(n)(x_1, \dots x_n)## is the Green's function.

And next, he saids

"We'll evaluate this in two different ways for the single-particle propagator ##G_0(x,y)##. Differentiating the expression for the functional integral ##\bar{Z}_0[J]## with respect to the ##J##'s gives us

$$G_0(x,y) = \frac{\int \mathcal{D}\phi \phi(x) \phi(y) e^{i\int d^4 x \mathcal{L}_0[ \phi]}}{\int \mathcal{D}\phi e^{i \int d^4x \mathcal{L}_0[\phi]}} \tag{24.21}$$

while differentiating the expression for the normalized generating functional ##\bar{Z}_0[J] = e^{- \frac{1}{2} \int d^4x d^4 y J(x) \Delta(x,y)J(y)} ## ( C.f. their book (24.17) )gives us the expected answer ##G_0(x,y) = \Delta(x,y) ##."

And why these two statements are true? I've been trying to calculate these formulas continuously by brutal force differentiation but I don't know how to perform differentiation exactly at all. What should I note to make calculations easier? Can anyone give me a hint or helps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read Sec. 1.3?

Related to Differentiation of functional integral (Blundell Quantum field theory)

What is the differentiation of a functional integral in the context of quantum field theory?

The differentiation of a functional integral in quantum field theory refers to the process of taking the derivative of a functional, which is an integral over fields, with respect to a specific field or parameter. This technique is essential in deriving equations of motion, computing correlation functions, and understanding the dynamics of quantum fields.

How does the differentiation of a functional integral differ from regular differentiation?

Unlike regular differentiation, which involves functions of finite variables, the differentiation of a functional integral deals with functionals, which are functions of functions. This involves taking derivatives with respect to fields, which are themselves functions of space and time, making the process more complex and involving concepts from functional analysis.

What role does the path integral formulation play in differentiation of functional integrals?

The path integral formulation, introduced by Richard Feynman, is a method in quantum field theory where one sums over all possible field configurations to calculate quantities of interest. Differentiation of functional integrals within this framework allows for the extraction of physical quantities like propagators and correlation functions by manipulating the integrals over these field configurations.

Can you provide an example of differentiating a functional integral?

Consider a simple scalar field theory with a functional integral of the form \( Z[J] = \int \mathcal{D}\phi \, e^{i(S[\phi] + \int d^4x \, J(x)\phi(x))} \), where \( S[\phi] \) is the action and \( J(x) \) is an external source. Differentiating \( Z[J] \) with respect to \( J(x) \) gives the field expectation value: \( \frac{\delta Z[J]}{\delta J(x)} = i \int \mathcal{D}\phi \, \phi(x) e^{i(S[\phi] + \int d^4x \, J(x)\phi(x))} = i \langle \phi(x) \rangle_J \).

What are the common techniques used in the differentiation of functional integrals?

Common techniques include the use of generating functionals, which encode information about correlation functions and can be differentiated to obtain these functions. Another technique is the application of the Schwinger-Dyson equations, which are derived by performing functional differentiation on the path integral and lead to relations between different correlation functions. Additionally, perturbative methods such as Feynman diagrams are often used to handle the complexities of functional integrals.