Differentiation - Quotient rule

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of x when the derivative of y equals zero. The person has attempted to solve for x but is unsure of their answer. The other person confirms that the derivative calculation is correct and suggests using the quadratic formula to find the value of x, which is ±√6.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

Given y = x^2 + 6 / x find x if dy/dx equals 0 zero

Homework Equations

dy/dx = v du/dx - u dv/dx / v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got as far as dy/dx = x^2 - 6 / x^2

However then zero must equal Sqrt 6, which 2.44... - can someone please confirm.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check to see if your derivative is correct, but I will assume it is. But solving x2-6=0 yields two answers √6 and -√6 . You have two answers for x.

Hi Rock freak

dy/dx = x^2 - 6 all over x^2

So not sure how you arrived at x^2 - 6 = Sqrt +/- 6

Can you check my derivative calc.

Cheers

zebra1707 said:
Hi Rock freak

dy/dx = x^2 - 6 all over x^2

So not sure how you arrived at x^2 - 6 = Sqrt +/- 6

Can you check my derivative calc.

Cheers

Well your derivative looks correct.

[tex]\frac{x^2-6}{x^2}=0 \Rightarrow x^2-6=0[/tex]

x2-a2=(x-a)(x+a). See how x= ±√6 ?

FAQ: Differentiation - Quotient rule

1. What is the quotient rule in differentiation?

The quotient rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It is used when the function cannot be simplified by using the power rule or the product rule.

2. How do you use the quotient rule?

To use the quotient rule, you must first identify the two functions in the quotient and label them as f(x) and g(x). Then, apply the formula: (f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)) / (g(x))^2. Finally, simplify the resulting expression to find the derivative.

3. When should the quotient rule be used instead of the product rule?

The quotient rule should be used when the function is in the form of f(x)/g(x) and cannot be simplified using the power rule or product rule. It is also used when the numerator and denominator are functions of x.

4. What is the difference between the quotient rule and the chain rule?

The quotient rule is used to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions, while the chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function. In other words, the quotient rule is used for dividing functions, while the chain rule is used for combining functions.

5. Can the quotient rule be applied to more than two functions?

No, the quotient rule can only be applied to two functions. If there are more than two functions in the quotient, the rule must be applied multiple times. For example, if the function is in the form of f(x)/g(x)/h(x), the quotient rule must be applied twice.

Back