Differentiation: small increments

In summary: I agree with Ray. Posting hand-written work, which is often difficult to read, makes it harder for us as helpers......and for the person who has to read it.Posting hand-written work, which is often difficult to read, makes it harder for us as helpers...and for the person who has to read it.
DevonZA

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The centripetal acceleration of a particle moving in a circle is ##a = \frac{v^2}{r}##, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circle. Approximate the maximum percentage error in the calculation of the acceleration if the error in experimental measurements of v is ± 0,2% and in r is ± 0,8%.

2. Differentiation: small increments

3. See attached.

Attachments

• 2.3.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
You know , there is a simple way -
Δa/a = 2Δv/v + Δr/r , for small Δv and Δr .
The reason the two quantities on the right are added is because they both have a possible plus - minus error .

Hope this helps .

Qwertywerty said:
The reason the two quantities on the right are added is because they both have a possible plus - minus error .

Hope this helps .

##\frac {Δa}{a} = \frac {2(0.2-(-0.2))}{0.2} + \frac {(0.8-(-0.8))}{0.8}##

DevonZA said:
##\frac {Δa}{a} = \frac {2(0.2-(-0.2))}{0.2} + \frac {(0.8-(-0.8))}{0.8}##
Wrong .
Okay , perhaps I should have mentioned this earlier - Δx ( x is just some random variable ) represents uncertainty / error in the measurements of x .

So , now , what is Δv , and what is Δr ?

No, I'm lost sorry?

DevonZA said:
Approximate the maximum percentage error in the calculation of the acceleration if the error in experimental measurements of v is ± 0,2% and in r is ± 0,8%.
These values seem like Δv/v and ...

Qwertywerty said:
These values seem like Δv/v and ...

...Δr/r. They are the change in v and r because both can increase or decrease but I still don't understand what you are getting at and surely Δv = +-0.2 and Δr = +-0.8? Why put Δv over v and Δr over r?

DevonZA said:
Why put Δv over v and Δr over r?
Over here ? -
Qwertywerty said:

This is derived from -
Suppose error in a is da , and in some random variable x is dx .
Then , error in a w.r.t - x is
da/dx .
Also , a = v2/r .
Hence differentiating w.r.t x on both sides ,
da/dx = 2vrdv/dx - v2dr/r2.dx - Chain rule
⇒da = 2vrdv - (v/r)2 . - Cancelling dx
⇒da/a = 2dv/v - dr/r - Dividing by a

But error is plus - minus , and hence it would become
da/a = 2dv/v + dr/r .

I hope that was your doubt .

I am so confused but thank you for attempting to get me to understand

DevonZA said:
I am so confused but thank you for attempting to get me to understand
What part ?

All of it to be honest. Maybe it is the way it is written that is confusing me

DevonZA said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The centripetal acceleration of a particle moving in a circle is ##a = \frac{v^2}{r}##, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circle. Approximate the maximum percentage error in the calculation of the acceleration if the error in experimental measurements of v is ± 0,2% and in r is ± 0,8%.

2. Differentiation: small increments

3. See attached.
Whoever gave you this problem expects you to know that an approximation to the error in a is [itex]da= \frac{2v}{r}dv- \frac{v^2}{r^2}dr[/itex] where dv and dr are the respective errors.

Likes Qwertywerty
Final answer attached. Thanks to all who helped.

Attachments

• question 2.3 answer.pdf
    531.5 KB · Views: 216
Likes Qwertywerty
DevonZA said:
Final answer attached. Thanks to all who helped.

Please type out your solution; I cannot open the pdf file on my new i-Phone, and you should not make me install an App just to read your work.

Ray Vickson said:
Please type out your solution; I cannot open the pdf file on my new i-Phone, and you should not make me install an App just to read your work.
I agree with Ray. Posting hand-written work, which is often difficult to read, makes it harder for us as helpers to give you assistance. For one thing, if we spot a mistake, we have to provide context to indicate which line is in error.

For another thing, having the work in a separate window is a hassle that many homework helpers just won't bother with.

Likes Qwertywerty
You can view it easily on a computer. The writing is pretty clear and I am satisfied with the answer, I simply put it here as information.

DevonZA said:
You can view it easily on a computer. The writing is pretty clear and I am satisfied with the answer, I simply put it here as information.

You should have left out the first sentence above; the correct statement replacing it should be something like "I am sorry, and won't do that in future".

I suggest you read the "pinned" post "Guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela (at the start of the list of messages). Many helpers will not bother to read attachments, even on a computer, so will not-- freely and without pay-- offer their time to help.

I will type the answer out when I get some spare time. Thanks.

DevonZA said:
I will type the answer out when I get some spare time. Thanks.
No need to do that for this thread, but keep it in mind for future posts.

Mark44 said:
No need to do that for this thread, but keep it in mind for future posts.

If there is no need to do it in this thread then why is Ray going on about it as if I have committed a crime? I did say that it is only there for information. I like to type my responses/answers/questions in correct latex form but for me to do this when I am satisfied with the answer and not actually asking anything seems a little extreme. Anyway I apologize if I upset anyone, I posted my final answer in PDF not knowing that it isn't a preferred method so it was unintentional.

DevonZA said:
If there is no need to do it in this thread then why is Ray going on about it as if I have committed a crime? I did say that it is only there for information. I like to type my responses/answers/questions in correct latex form but for me to do this when I am satisfied with the answer and not actually asking anything seems a little extreme. Anyway I apologize if I upset anyone, I posted my final answer in PDF not knowing that it isn't a preferred method so it was unintentional.

I did mention it so that you would come to realize it, that's all. Everything I said was 100% true: many helpers will never bother to look at solution attachments (unless they are something like diagrams, etc.), and so by posting such attachments you are dismissing a significant portion of the PF community of helpers.

BTW: I did look at your pdf on my laptop, but still found it very hard to read; parts of it I could not make out at all.

Related to Differentiation: small increments

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that describes the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. In other words, it involves calculating how much a function changes when one of its inputs changes by a small amount.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is an important tool in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and more. It allows us to analyze and model complex systems, make predictions, and understand how things change over time. It is also the foundation of calculus, which is essential for many advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. While differentiation calculates the rate of change of a function, integration finds the total change or accumulation of a function. In other words, differentiation is like zooming in on a function, while integration is like zooming out.

4. How is differentiation performed?

Differentiation can be performed using various techniques, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These methods involve manipulating algebraic expressions and using basic differentiation rules to find the derivative of a function. In more advanced cases, differentiation can be done using numerical methods or computer algorithms.

5. What are the applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many practical applications, such as finding maximum and minimum values of a function, optimizing systems, and solving differential equations. It is also used in physics to understand the motion of objects, in economics for optimization problems, and in biology for modeling population growth and other biological processes.