Differentiation Techniques in Calculus

In summary, the conversation involved questions about a problem set, specifically regarding the separation of a function into single terms and the use of the product and chain rules in finding derivatives. The expert provided corrections and suggestions for improvement.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_12.jpg

For 1a, I just separated the function into single terms with √x as the denominator. This ultimately resulted in: (5/2)x^(3/2) - (9/2)√x + 5/(2x^[3/2])

For 1b, I multiplied the outer variable into the expression in the bracket. This gave me: (4/3) w^(1/3) + (2/(3w^[5/3])) + 2e^w * (w^1/3 + 1/(3w^(2/3))

Does that look right to you guys?

As for 2a, I used the product rule and got 4x^3 *e^(-1/(x^2)) +3xe^(-1/(x^2)) - 2/x^2 * ln (2/x) + 2/(x^2)

Finally, for 2b, I just took the derivative as per usual and obtained:

(-3sin3Ø/cos3Ø) - (sin(ln(3Ø))/Ø)Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
For 1a, I just separated the function into single terms with √x as the denominator. This ultimately resulted in: (5/2)x^(3/2) - (9/2)√x + 5/(2x^[3/2])

Correct.

ardentmed said:
For 1b, I multiplied the outer variable into the expression in the bracket. This gave me: (4/3) w^(1/3) + (2/(3w^[5/3])) + 2e^w * (w^1/3 + 1/(3w^(2/3))

Correct.
ardentmed said:
As for 2a, I used the product rule and got 4x^3 *e^(-1/(x^2)) +3xe^(-1/(x^2)) - 2/x^2 * ln (2/x) + 2/(x^2)

I got $4x^3e^{-(1/x^2)}+2xe^{-(1/x^2)}-\dfrac{2}{x^2}-\dfrac{2}{x^2}\ln \dfrac{2}{x}$.

You need to show us your work before we can tell you where you went wrong...

anemone said:
Correct.
Correct.

I got $4x^3e^{-(1/x^2)}+2xe^{-(1/x^2)}-\dfrac{2}{x^2}-\dfrac{2}{x^2}\ln \dfrac{2}{x}$.

You need to show us your work before we can tell you where you went wrong...
Alright, I re-did the question and got the same answer.

2b is correct, right? I just applied the product rule.

Thanks again.

ardentmed said:
Alright, I re-did the question and got the same answer.

2b is correct, right? I just applied the product rule.

Thanks again.

For 2b you need to apply the chain rule twice. The Product rule is when you have two expressions multiplied (ie \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d}{dx} \sin(x)\cos(x)\)

Since you are adding you can treat each expression by itself and add the result

\(\displaystyle s(\theta) = \ln(\cos(3\theta)) + \cos(\ln(3\theta))\)

\(\displaystyle s'(\theta) = \dfrac{d}{d\theta}\left(\ln(\cos(3\theta))\right) + \dfrac{d}{d\theta}\left(\cos(\ln(3\theta))\right)\)

SuperSonic4 said:
For 2b you need to apply the chain rule twice. The Product rule is when you have two expressions multiplied (ie \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d}{dx} \sin(x)\cos(x)\)

Since you are adding you can treat each expression by itself and add the result

\(\displaystyle s(\theta) = \ln(\cos(3\theta)) + \cos(\ln(3\theta))\)

\(\displaystyle s'(\theta) = \dfrac{d}{d\theta}\left(\ln(\cos(3\theta))\right) + \dfrac{d}{d\theta}\left(\cos(\ln(3\theta))\right)\)

So the final answer just: (-3sin3Ø/cos3Ø) - (sin(ln(3Ø))/Ø) After applying the chain rule?

ardentmed said:
So the final answer just: (-3sin3Ø/cos3Ø) - (sin(ln(3Ø))/Ø) After applying the chain rule?

Yeap!(Yes)

Related to Differentiation Techniques in Calculus

1. What is the purpose of differentiation in science?

The purpose of differentiation in science is to understand and study the differences and variations between different organisms or substances. It allows scientists to categorize and classify living and non-living things based on their unique characteristics.

2. What are the different types of differentiation?

The different types of differentiation include cellular differentiation, developmental differentiation, and differentiation in terms of species or organisms. Cellular differentiation refers to the specialization of cells in a multicellular organism, while developmental differentiation is the process by which an organism grows and matures. Differentiation between species involves the unique physical and genetic characteristics that distinguish one species from another.

3. How does differentiation occur?

Differentiation occurs through various processes such as gene expression, cell signaling, and environmental factors. During gene expression, certain genes are turned on or off, resulting in the specialization of cells. Cell signaling involves communication between cells to determine their specific roles. Environmental factors, such as nutrients and hormones, can also influence the differentiation of cells.

4. What are the benefits of differentiation in science?

The benefits of differentiation in science include a better understanding of the diversity and complexity of living and non-living things. It also helps scientists identify and classify new species, as well as develop treatments for diseases that arise from abnormal differentiation, such as cancer. Additionally, differentiation allows for more accurate predictions and explanations of natural phenomena.

5. How is differentiation related to evolution?

Differentiation plays a crucial role in the process of evolution. As new species arise, they differentiate from their ancestors through adaptations and genetic mutations. These differences allow for the survival and reproduction of certain individuals, leading to the diversification of species over time. Without differentiation, evolution would not be possible.