Difficult 2D Kinematics Question

In summary, the basketball takes 1.06 seconds to hit the rim and its initial speed is 7.48 m/s. The equations used were a=4.5/t, 1=bt-4.905t^2, b-9.81t=-a, and (b-9.81t)^2=b^2-19.6. The unknowns were a, b, and t. By setting vfy=-a, the equation gt - b = 4.5/t was obtained. Combining this with the equation gt^2 - bt = 4.5, the value of t was found to be 1.06 seconds. Substituting this value for t in the
michaelplease

Homework Statement

A basketball is thrown from a height of 2m. The direction of its velocity when it hits the rim of the basketball hoop is 45 degrees below the horizontal. The basketball hoop is 3m above the ground and 4.5 m in front of the shooter.

How long does the ball take to hit the rim, and what is its initial speed?

Homework Equations

Let a = x velocity, b = intial y velocity, t = time.
Kinematics equations, also |x velocity| = |final y velocity|
a=4.5/t
1=bt-4.905t^2
b-9.81t=-a
(b-9.81t)^2=b^2-19.6

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have more equations than unknowns, but I just go in circles when trying to solve. Sometimes I get a seemingly significant step done but then another equation shows that something went wrong. Please help!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one more equation, that for the y component of velocity in terms of time.

ehild

Oh yes, I forgot to write that one.
vfy = b-gt

I am still stuck though trying to solve these equations (despite having so many!) Do you mind showing me how to do the algebra?

Use the equation that |vfy|=a. Is vfy positive or negative?

ehild

vfy is negative if we say that positive y is up.

so I combined a = -vfy and vfy = b-gt -> a = gt - b

gt - b = 4.5/t
4.5 = gt^2 - bt
add to 2nd equation listed : 5.5 = gt^2 - 4.905 t^2
t = 1.06 s

Is that right?

Then by equation 1:
a = 4.25 m/s

By equation 3:
b = 6.15 m/s

and vo = 26.2 m/s

Is that right?

a and b are correct, but vo is not. How did you get it?

ehild

I must have typed something wrong into my calculator.

vo = 7.48 m/s

Thanks so much for your help!

That result is correct!

ehild

FAQ: Difficult 2D Kinematics Question

1. What is a difficult 2D kinematics question?

A difficult 2D kinematics question is a problem that involves the motion of an object in two dimensions, typically in the x and y directions. These types of questions require a thorough understanding of kinematics equations and the ability to apply them to complex scenarios.

2. How do I approach solving a difficult 2D kinematics question?

The first step in solving a difficult 2D kinematics question is to carefully read and understand the given scenario. Next, identify the known and unknown variables and determine which kinematics equations are needed to solve for the unknowns. Then, use algebraic techniques to manipulate the equations and solve for the unknowns.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a difficult 2D kinematics question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a difficult 2D kinematics question include using incorrect kinematics equations, not carefully considering the direction of motion, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double check all calculations and ensure that the equations are being applied correctly.

4. Can I use a calculator when solving a difficult 2D kinematics question?

Yes, a calculator can be helpful when solving a difficult 2D kinematics question. However, it is important to use the correct units and pay attention to significant figures when entering values into the calculator.

5. What real-world applications use difficult 2D kinematics?

Difficult 2D kinematics problems are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and aviation. They are used to analyze the motion of objects in a variety of scenarios, including projectile motion, circular motion, and collisions.

Back