Difficult but interesting standing waves question

In summary, the homework statement is asking what the wave length of the first overtone is for a string with different mass densities. According to the given conditions, the wave length will be the same for both strings. However, when a heavy string is connected to a lighter string, the junction point is considered to be an antinode. This means that the light string has no effect on the heavy string.
nil1996

Homework Statement

A 160 g rope 4m long is fixed at one end and tied to a light string of same length to other end.Its tension is 400N.
What is the wave length of first overtone?

Homework Equations

λ=v/f
v=√(T/μ)
μ=mass per unit length
T=tension
f=frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

Well,
i know to find the wave length when the string is uniform density.Here i am unable to think how this works when we have two strings of different μ.Please guide me.First overtone is
fundamental_3.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
nil1996 said:
Well,
i know to find the wave length when the string is uniform density.Here i am unable to think how this works when we have two strings of different μ.Please guide me.

There are some conditions for these kind of problems, known as boundary conditions.

1. Tension would be same in both the strings.
2. Frequency would be same for both strings.

when a heavy string is connected to a lighter string, that junction point is considered to be an antinode. I have given you pretty much every information you need to solve this question!

NihalSh said:
There are some conditions for these kind of problems, known as boundary conditions.

1. Tension would be same in both the strings.
2. Frequency would be same for both strings.

when a heavy string is connected to a lighter string, that junction point is considered to be an antinode. I have given you pretty much every information you need to solve this question!

Nihal are you from india.I am from india.

nil1996 said:
Nihal are you from india.I am from india.

Well, yes I am. But that is irrelevant to the question.:wink:

NihalSh said:
Well, yes I am. But that is irrelevant to the question.:wink:

are you preparing for iitjee??

nil1996 said:
are you preparing for iitjee??

Why? Are you?

NihalSh said:
Why? Are you?

Yes i am preparing for iitjee without coaching.

nil1996 said:
Yes i am preparing for iitjee without coaching.

good luck. If you want talk about iitjee and all that, use private message.

Still not getting the problem

nil1996 said:
Still not getting the problem

What is it that you are not getting?

I am not understanding how will the both strings work in first overtone. That is i am not getting the root concept.

nil1996 said:
I am not understanding how will the both strings work in first overtone. That is i am not getting the root concept.

its not given that the second string is fixed at the other end. You just need to worry about the first string. If you are aware of boundary conditions, then you should not face any problem.

What do we mean by light string??How will it interfere with the heavy string while making one node??

nil1996 said:
What do we mean by light string??How will it interfere with the heavy string while making one node??

light string means less linear mass density. The interference question is an interesting one, I'll suggest you read your textbook about this. It has to do with something with inertia...let pulse travels through heavy string, when the pulse reaches the junction, two extreme conditions can be that the junction is a node or a antinode (intermediate conditions also happen). But when the pulse comes from the heavy string, it has more inertia compared to lighter string so it leads to an antinode in an extreme situation. The question you have given makes exactly this assumption to solve it.

So that means that the light string has no effect on the heavy string,isn't it?

Thanks for your precious guidance

nil1996 said:
So that means that the light string has no effect on the heavy string,isn't it?
yes, you can say that.
nil1996 said:
Thanks for your precious guidance

:thumbs:

FAQ: Difficult but interesting standing waves question

1. What exactly are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave in which the individual particles of the medium do not move from their original position, but rather oscillate back and forth in a fixed pattern. This creates areas of high and low energy, known as nodes and antinodes, respectively.

2. What makes standing waves difficult to understand?

The concept of standing waves can be difficult to grasp because they are a result of the interaction between two waves traveling in opposite directions, and the resulting pattern is not always intuitive. Additionally, the mathematics involved in calculating standing waves can be complex.

3. How do standing waves form?

Standing waves form when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude, but traveling in opposite directions, interfere with each other. This creates a stable pattern of nodes and antinodes that appears to be standing still.

4. Can standing waves occur in any medium?

Standing waves can occur in any medium, as long as there is a fixed boundary or confinement. This can include strings, pipes, and even electromagnetic fields. However, the specific conditions required for standing waves to form may vary depending on the medium.

5. What are some real-world applications of standing waves?

Standing waves have a variety of practical applications, including musical instruments such as guitars and flutes, where the standing wave pattern determines the pitch of the sound produced. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound, as well as in the study of seismic waves and earthquake detection.

Back