Difficult Distribution Function

In summary, the integral is of the form \int x^2e^{-x^3}\, dx and can be solved using a substitution similar to u = x3, du = 3x2dx.
trojansc82

Homework Statement

∫3/43x2e-(x/4)3

Homework Equations

F(x) = 0xf(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is 1 - e-(x/4)3

I have tried integrating but I am not able to arrive at the solution...

What is the indefinite integral of e-(x/4)3?

Physics news on Phys.org
trojansc82 said:

Homework Statement

∫3/43x2e-(x/4)3

Homework Equations

F(x) = 0xf(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is 1 - e-(x/4)3

I have tried integrating but I am not able to arrive at the solution...

What is the indefinite integral of e-(x/4)3?

It is hard to make out what your equations actually are. But you aren't asked to integrate e-(x/4)3. You have an x2 in there. Basically, ignoring the constants you have an integral of the form

[tex]\int x^2e^{-x^3}\, dx[/tex]

and you need to do a substitution similar to u = x3, du = 3x2dx but modified to include your constants.

Related to Difficult Distribution Function

1. What is a difficult distribution function?

A difficult distribution function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on different values. It is considered difficult when it cannot be easily expressed or calculated using traditional methods.

2. What makes a distribution function difficult?

A distribution function can be considered difficult due to its complexity, lack of closed-form expression, or the need for advanced mathematical techniques to calculate it.

3. What are some examples of difficult distribution functions?

Examples of difficult distribution functions include the Cauchy distribution, the Pareto distribution, and the Weibull distribution. These functions typically have complicated equations and cannot be easily expressed in terms of other simple functions.

4. Why is understanding difficult distribution functions important?

Understanding difficult distribution functions is important in many scientific disciplines, including statistics, physics, and engineering. These functions are often used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about future events.

5. How can one calculate a difficult distribution function?

There are various methods for calculating difficult distribution functions, depending on the specific function and the available mathematical tools. Some common techniques include numerical integration, simulation, and using specialized software or algorithms.

Back