Difficult double integration problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter fanttamdiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the double integral given in the conversation can be expressed in polar coordinates and evaluated using the substitution $r = b\sec\varphi$ and $r = c\csc\psi$. The resulting formula is $$\boxed{\displaystyle \int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \tfrac23a^3\beta + \tfrac13ace - \tfrac23bcd + \tfrac13c^3\ln\Bigl(\frac{d-b}{a-e}\Bigr) - \tfrac13b^3\ln\Bigl(\
fanttamdiv
I am getting a different answer from my colleague on the double integral below so I am trying to find out why. I am trying to put this into excel so I can play with the numbers and see the different results. The double integral is below:
View attachment 1496

So the first integration (with respect to y) yields me this:
​\[\int_{-c}^{c}\frac{(x^2*\sinh^{-1}{\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{x}})-(b*\sqrt{x^2+b^2})+(a*\sqrt{a^2-x^2})-(x^2*\sinh^{-1}{\frac{b}{x}})}{2} dx\]
(Online calc input):
(.5)*(((x^2)*(arsinh((sqrt((a^2)-(x^2)))/x)))-(b*(sqrt((x^2)+(b^2))))+(a*(sqrt((a^2)-(x^2))))-((x^2)*(arsinh(b/x))))

Remember, I am putting this through excel so I am keeping the variables in there until the end. The second integration (with respect to x now) yields me this:
\[\frac{(-b^3*\sinh^{-1}{\frac{c}{b}})+(a^3*\sin^{-1}\frac{c}{a})-(bc*\sqrt{c^2+b^2})+(ac*\sqrt{a^2-c^2})}{2}\]
(Online calc input):
.5*(((-b^3)*(arsinh(c/b)))+((a^3)*(arcsin(c/a)))-((b*c)*(sqrt((c^2)+(b^2))))+((a*c)*(sqrt((a^2)-(c^2)))))

So now that I have this, I can use excel to plug in various variables and see how they affect my answer. The current variables I am using are:
a: 2
b: 1.2
c: 1

With the variables above, I am getting ~2.234. My colleague, however, is getting ~2.361. I do not have access to his work, and he seems confident in his answer (his answer makes more sense to me too based on some other details I haven't explained here). Basically I am bringing up this issue a couple years after he did the original problems and he isn't allotted any more time to work on this so I'm on my own. Is there something I am doing wrong? I don't think it is a rounding error as I have gotten the same answer with Excel and an online integration calculator. Also, I have tried to get this question answered on a different forum and it was suggested that I convert the integral to polar coordinates. It's been way too long since I took calculus and I don't know how to do this... Anyone think they can help do this/figure out why I'm getting a different answer?

Thanks

Attachments

• DoubleIntegral.png
    DoubleIntegral.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 84
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few comments:

1. Am I right in thinking your integral is
$$ \int_{-c}^{c} \int_{b}^{ \sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}} \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} \, dy \, dx?$$

2. If so, then may I ask whether your region in the $xy$ plane satisfies the relationship, in general, that $c^{2}+b^{2}=a^{2}$? Or is $c^{2}+b^{2}<a^{2}$? Or is $c^{2}+b^{2}>a^{2}$? (I should think the last option highly unlikely, as you will get complex numbers floating around!)

3. If we go on the assumption that $c^{2}+b^{2}=a^{2}$, then the integral becomes, in polar coordinates,
\begin{align*}
\int_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \int_{b \csc( \theta)}^{a}r^{2} \, dr \, d \theta &=
\int_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \left[ \frac{r^{3}}{3} \right]_{b \csc( \theta)}^{a} \, d \theta
\\
&= \frac{1}{3} \int_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \left[a^{3}-b^{3} \csc^{3}( \theta) \right] \, d \theta \\
&= \frac{1}{3} \Bigg[ a^{3} \theta-b^{3} \Bigg( - \frac{1}{4} \ln \left|1+ \cos( \theta) \right|+ \frac{1}{4} \ln \left|1- \cos( \theta) \right| \\
& \qquad - \frac{1}{4(1- \cos( \theta))}+ \frac{1}{4(1+ \cos( \theta))}\Bigg) \Bigg]_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \\
&= \frac{2}{3} \, a^{3} \arcsin(b/a).
\end{align*}

Ackbach said:
I have a few comments:

1. Am I right in thinking your integral is
$$ \int_{-c}^{c} \int_{b}^{ \sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}} \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} \, dy \, dx?$$

2. If so, then may I ask whether your region in the $xy$ plane satisfies the relationship, in general, that $c^{2}+b^{2}=a^{2}$? Or is $c^{2}+b^{2}<a^{2}$? Or is $c^{2}+b^{2}>a^{2}$? (I should think the last option highly unlikely, as you will get complex numbers floating around!)

3. If we go on the assumption that $c^{2}+b^{2}=a^{2}$, then the integral becomes, in polar coordinates,
\begin{align*}
\int_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \int_{b \csc( \theta)}^{a}r^{2} \, dr \, d \theta &=
\int_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \left[ \frac{r^{3}}{3} \right]_{b \csc( \theta)}^{a} \, d \theta
\\
&= \frac{1}{3} \int_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \left[a^{3}-b^{3} \csc^{3}( \theta) \right] \, d \theta \\
&= \frac{1}{3} \Bigg[ a^{3} \theta-b^{3} \Bigg( - \frac{1}{4} \ln \left|1+ \cos( \theta) \right|+ \frac{1}{4} \ln \left|1- \cos( \theta) \right| \\
& \qquad - \frac{1}{4(1- \cos( \theta))}+ \frac{1}{4(1+ \cos( \theta))}\Bigg) \Bigg]_{ \arcsin(-b/a)}^{ \arcsin(b/a)} \\
&= \frac{2}{3} \, a^{3} \arcsin(b/a).
\end{align*}

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Your first assumption is correct, that is the double integral I am working with. I am afraid variables a, b, and c are not related in any of the ways you mentioned, I'm not even sure if they have an absolute relationship. Just treat a, b, and c as independent variables. I have attached below a picture of what a, b, and c stand for so you can visualize the shape I am working with (ignore the other variables in yellow). This is part of a larger problem and I am fairly confident this double integral is the source of my error. EDIT: The picture in the attachment is wrong, the picture that is embedded is correct.

View attachment 1500

Also, I don't NEED it to be in polar coordinates, I just need a way to get an integrated solution that has variables I can change and see how it affects the final solution. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Brake Pad Area (Shaded2).png
    Brake Pad Area (Shaded2).png
    3.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Brake Pad Area (Shaded2).png
    Brake Pad Area (Shaded2).png
    3.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
fanttamdiv said:
I am getting a different answer from my colleague on the double integral below so I am trying to find out why. I am trying to put this into excel so I can play with the numbers and see the different results. The double integral is below:
View attachment 1496

I can use excel to plug in various variables and see how they affect my answer. The current variables I am using are:
a: 2
b: 1.2
c: 1

With the variables above, I am getting ~2.234. My colleague, however, is getting ~2.361.
As someone on another forum suggested, you can evaluate the integral \(\displaystyle \int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx\) by transforming it to polar coordinates. You have to split it into two pieces, as in this diagram:

Let $d = \sqrt{b^2+c^2}$, $e = \sqrt{a^2-c^2}$, $\alpha = \arccos(b/d)$ and $\beta = \arcsin(c/a)$, as indicated in the diagram. Then $$\int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \int_b^d\int_{-\arccos(b/r)}^{\arccos(b/r)}r^2\,d\theta dr + \int_d^a\int_{-\arcsin(c/r)}^{\arcsin(c/r)}r^2\,d\theta dr.$$ The theta integrals are easy, and lead to $$\int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \int_b^d 2r^2\arccos(b/r)\,dr + \int_d^a 2r^2\arcsin(c/r)\,dr.$$ Those integrals are doable but not so quick. I'll spare you the details, but briefly what you have to do is to integrate by parts, then use the substitution $r = b\sec\varphi$ for the first integral and $r = c\csc\psi$ for the second one. The result comes out as $$\boxed{\displaystyle \int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \tfrac23a^3\beta + \tfrac13ace - \tfrac23bcd + \tfrac13c^3\ln\Bigl(\frac{d-b}{a-e}\Bigr) - \tfrac13b^3\ln\Bigl(\frac{c+d}{b}\Bigr)}.$$

Putting in the values $a=2$, $b=1.2$, $c=1$ (and remembering that $\beta$ must be measured in radians!), that formula gives the value of the integral as 2.361. So I'm sorry to say that it looks as though your colleague is right and you are wrong.

Attachments

• template.png
    template.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Opalg said:
As someone on another forum suggested, you can evaluate the integral \(\displaystyle \int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx\) by transforming it to polar coordinates. You have to split it into two pieces, as in this diagram:

Let $d = \sqrt{b^2+c^2}$, $e = \sqrt{a^2-c^2}$, $\alpha = \arccos(b/d)$ and $\beta = \arcsin(c/a)$, as indicated in the diagram. Then $$\int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \int_b^d\int_{-\arccos(b/r)}^{\arccos(b/r)}r^2\,d\theta dr + \int_d^a\int_{-\arcsin(c/r)}^{\arcsin(c/r)}r^2\,d\theta dr.$$ The theta integrals are easy, and lead to $$\int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \int_b^d 2r^2\arccos(b/r)\,dr + \int_d^a 2r^2\arcsin(c/r)\,dr.$$ Those integrals are doable but not so quick. I'll spare you the details, but briefly what you have to do is to integrate by parts, then use the substitution $r = b\sec\varphi$ for the first integral and $r = c\csc\psi$ for the second one. The result comes out as $$\boxed{\displaystyle \int_{-c}^c\int_b^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\,dydx = \tfrac23a^3\beta + \tfrac13ace - \tfrac23bcd + \tfrac13c^3\ln\Bigl(\frac{d-b}{a-e}\Bigr) - \tfrac13b^3\ln\Bigl(\frac{c+d}{b}\Bigr)}.$$

Putting in the values $a=2$, $b=1.2$, $c=1$ (and remembering that $\beta$ must be measured in radians!), that formula gives the value of the integral as 2.361. So I'm sorry to say that it looks as though your colleague is right and you are wrong.

Brilliant, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!:D

FAQ: Difficult double integration problem

1. What is a difficult double integration problem?

A difficult double integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves integrating a function with two variables over a certain region. It requires advanced techniques and strategies to solve and may involve complex calculations.

2. How do you approach a difficult double integration problem?

When faced with a difficult double integration problem, it is important to first understand the given function and the region of integration. Then, choose an appropriate integration method based on the variables and the complexity of the function. Some common methods include iterated integration, change of variables, and integration by parts.

3. What are some common challenges when solving a difficult double integration problem?

One of the main challenges when solving a difficult double integration problem is determining the correct limits of integration. This can be especially challenging when the region of integration is not a simple shape or when the function involves trigonometric or exponential terms. Another challenge is making sure all the steps and calculations are accurate, as even small errors can lead to incorrect solutions.

4. Are there any tips for solving difficult double integration problems?

One helpful tip for solving difficult double integration problems is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make the problem more approachable and easier to solve. It is also important to practice and become familiar with different integration techniques, so that you can choose the most efficient method for a given problem.

5. How can I check if my solution to a difficult double integration problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a difficult double integration problem is correct, you can use a calculator or a computer program to evaluate the integral. You can also try plugging in different values for the variables and see if they satisfy the original function. Additionally, it is always helpful to double-check your steps and calculations to ensure accuracy.