Difficult Vector Field Integral

In summary: The integration over the curve x^4 + y^4 = 1 does not seem to be an exact differential; you might need to find a different curve to integrate over.
Daniel Sellers
<Moderator's note: Image substituted by text.>

1. Homework Statement

Given the following vector field,
$$
\dfrac{2(x-1)\,dy - 2(y+1)\,dx}{(x-1)^2+(y+1)^2}
$$
how do I integrate :
The integral over the curve x^4 + y^4 = 1
x^4 + y^4 = 11

x^4 + y^4 = 21

x^4 + y^4 = 31

Homework Equations

Green's theorem and related equations for line integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

None of the techniques I know seem to work for this problem and if there's a shortcut or trick I'm not seeing it.

There are multiple incorrect solutions available online, but no correct ones. I know that the integral over the first curve is 0 because one solution said they should all be 0 (because F is conservative, which it is not).

How do I parameterize this curve in a way that I can integrate the result?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Sellers said:

1. Homework Statement

$$
\dfrac{2(x-1)\,dy - 2(y+1)\,dx}{(x-1)^2+(y+1)^2}
$$
how do I integrate :
x^4 + y^4 = 11

x^4 + y^4 = 21

x^4 + y^4 = 31

Homework Equations

Green's theorem and related equations for line integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

None of the techniques I know seem to work for this problem and if there's a shortcut or trick I'm not seeing it.

There are multiple incorrect solutions available online, but no correct ones. I know that the integral over the first curve is 0 because one solution said they should all be 0 (because F is conservative, which it is not).

How do I parameterize this curve in a way that I can integrate the result?

You need to show us more of what you have tried; just saying that "none of the techniques work" is not sufficient. How far did you get? Where do the tried techniques fail?

Daniel Sellers said:

1. Homework Statement

$$
δF=\dfrac{2(x-1)\,dy - 2(y+1)\,dx}{(x-1)^2+(y+1)^2}
$$
how do I integrate :
x^4 + y^4 = 11

x^4 + y^4 = 21

x^4 + y^4 = 31
Check if δF is an exact differential. How do you do it?

Related to Difficult Vector Field Integral

Question:

What is a difficult vector field integral?

Answer:

A difficult vector field integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total change of a vector field over a given region. It involves finding the line integral of a vector field, which can be a challenging task depending on the complexity of the field and the region.

Question:

What is the importance of studying difficult vector field integrals?

Answer:

Studying difficult vector field integrals is important for understanding the behavior and properties of vector fields in real-world applications. It is also crucial for solving complex mathematical problems and developing new techniques in vector calculus.

Question:

What are some common techniques for solving difficult vector field integrals?

Answer:

Some common techniques for solving difficult vector field integrals include using the fundamental theorem of line integrals, Green's theorem, and the divergence theorem. Other methods such as parameterization and change of variables may also be used depending on the specific integral and region.

Question:

How can I determine if a vector field integral is difficult?

Answer:

Determining the difficulty of a vector field integral depends on the complexity of the vector field and the region of integration. Generally, integrals involving higher-order derivatives, non-linear functions, and non-rectangular regions tend to be more difficult. It is important to assess the integral and choose an appropriate method for solving it.

Question:

Are there any practical applications of difficult vector field integrals?

Answer:

Yes, there are many practical applications of difficult vector field integrals in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to calculate the work done by a force, the flux of a vector field through a surface, and the circulation of a fluid. They also play a crucial role in solving optimization and path planning problems.

Back