Diffraction Grating Problem, brightness maximum involved

In summary, the question asks about the other wavelengths within the spectrum of incident light that will produce a first-order brightness maximum at the given angle (theta). This can be determined using the equation sin(theta) = m(lambda)/d, where m is an integer representing the order, lambda is the wavelength of the light, and d is the distance between grating lines. The value of m can vary for different combinations of lambda, but the first-order maximum will always occur at the same angle (theta).
NCyellow

Homework Statement

A bulb emits a continuous spectrum of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light in the wavelength range 360nm to 2000nm. Assume that the light from this bulb is incident on a diffraction grating with slit spacing d and that the first-order brightness maximum for the wavelength of 1200 nm occurs at angle (theta). What other wavelengths within the spectrum of incident light will produce a brightness maximum at this same angle (theta)?

Homework Equations

sin(theta) = m(lamda)/d
where m is an integer representing the order, and d is the distance between grating lines. Lamda represents the wavelengths of the light.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am given a lamda (wavelength) and an order, I set up my equation for theta as
(theta) = arcsin (1200nm/d)
I have no idea what the problem is asking for.
Please give me some hints.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the geometry, what d , theta are? that really helps thinking these through.
otherwise, "first-order" refers to m=1 in that equation for the location(theta) of brightness maxima.
The question should make sense now.

I went back to look in my textbook, but I am still confused by what you mean. I know that d is the separation between slits, D is the actual width of each slit, and theta is the angular spread. I am still confused however.

can u post the figure?
Otherwise, that m(lambda) is just the requirement to get constructive interference. m(lambda) can equal the same number for different combinations of m and lambda...

FAQ: Diffraction Grating Problem, brightness maximum involved

1. What is a diffraction grating problem?

A diffraction grating problem involves studying the behavior of light as it passes through a grating made up of closely spaced parallel lines. This phenomenon causes the light to diffract, or spread out, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark spots known as interference fringes.

2. Why is the brightness maximum involved in a diffraction grating problem?

The brightness maximum, also known as the central maximum, is the brightest spot in the diffraction pattern. It is involved in the problem because it represents the maximum intensity of light that is diffracted by the grating, making it a key component in analyzing the behavior of light in this scenario.

3. How is the brightness maximum determined in a diffraction grating problem?

The brightness maximum is determined by the spacing of the grating lines and the wavelength of the incident light. The closer the grating lines are together, the wider the central maximum will be. Similarly, shorter wavelengths of light will result in a wider central maximum compared to longer wavelengths.

4. Can the brightness maximum be manipulated in a diffraction grating problem?

Yes, the brightness maximum can be manipulated by changing the parameters of the diffraction grating. For example, increasing the spacing between the grating lines will result in a narrower central maximum, while changing the incident light to a longer wavelength will also narrow the central maximum.

5. What real-world applications are there for understanding the brightness maximum in a diffraction grating problem?

Understanding the behavior of light in a diffraction grating problem has various applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like spectrometers and telescopes. It also plays a role in the study of atomic and molecular structures, as well as in the field of astronomy for analyzing the light emitted by distant stars and galaxies.