Diffraction With A Single Slit And A Lens.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of diffraction maxima and the width of the whole pattern using various equations, including the irradiance formula, conditions for minima, and angular and central fringe widths. The presence of a lens in the setup complicates the calculations.
chris_avfc

Homework Statement

Trying to find the number of diffraction maxima and the width of the whole pattern.
[itex]\lambda = 500nm[/itex]
[itex] b = 2.8μm[/itex] (Slit Width)
[itex] f = 100mm[/itex]
[itex] r = 25mm[/itex]
[itex] L = 25mm[/itex] (Slit to Lens)

Homework Equations

I have the worked out the irradiance formula as:

[tex] I(\theta)=I_0 sin^2(\beta)/(\beta^2)[/tex]

The conditions for minima

[tex] b sin\theta = m\lambda [/tex]

Angular width of central fringe

[tex] \Delta\theta \approx 2\lambda/b[/tex]

Width of central fringe

[tex] W \approx 2L\lambda/b [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As said I worked out the irradiance formula, and I think to find the width of the whole pattern you would do:

[itex] (Fringe Width \times 2) + 1 [/itex]

As then it accounts for the dark fringes as well, plus the one extra for the central.

As for working out the number of maxima, I would guess it would involve the condition for a minimum as it contains the order of diffraction.

What really throws me off though, is the lens, I'm not sure what that would do for the calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to bump this, but does anybody have any idea?

Going to be a pain and see if anyone can help me again?

Can't get anywhere with this. :(

FAQ: Diffraction With A Single Slit And A Lens.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of waves around obstacles or openings. In the context of light, it refers to the bending and spreading of light waves as they pass through a narrow slit or aperture.

2. How does diffraction with a single slit work?

When a single slit is illuminated with a beam of light, the light waves passing through the slit spread out and interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slit.

3. What is the role of a lens in diffraction with a single slit?

A lens is used to focus the light from the single slit onto a screen, creating a sharper and more defined diffraction pattern. It also helps to reduce the width of the central bright fringe, making it easier to measure and analyze.

4. What factors affect the diffraction pattern with a single slit and a lens?

The main factors that affect the diffraction pattern are the width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the screen. The properties of the lens, such as its focal length and shape, can also have an impact on the pattern.

5. What applications does diffraction with a single slit and a lens have?

Diffraction with a single slit and a lens is commonly used in various fields, such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy. It can be used to measure the wavelength of light, study the properties of lenses, and create high-resolution images in microscopy.