Diffusion eq. with periodic BC using method of images

In summary: This would be the same as solving the diffusion equation for T(x,t) with the boundary condition that T(x,0;x_0)=\delta (x-x_0).
Breuno

Homework Statement

Considering the periodic boundary conditions (given below) I am supposed to find the solution T(x,t) with the initial condition T(x,0)=[tex]\delta[/tex](x) Also I am limited to use method of images so I can't use separation of variables unfortunately.

Homework Equations

The boundary conditions are give by:
[tex]T(x=-L/2,t)=T(x=L/2,t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(x=-L/2)=\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(x=L/2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only started and for the initial condition using method of images I get:

[tex]T(x,t)=\sum{(-1)^{n}\ T_{g}(x+n*L,t)}[/tex]

where the sum goes from -infinity to infinity.

My problem is how to implement the periodic boundary conditions into the problem.
In my textbook it says that using theese kind of boundary conditions in 1-D is equivalent to transforming the coordinates from a line to a circle. What does that mean?

I'd much appreciate it if you gave me a hint on how to solve this

Thanks
/Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Breuno said:
The boundary conditions are give by:
[tex]T(x=-L/2,t)=T(x=L/2,t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(x=-L/2)=\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(x=L/2)[/tex]

In my textbook it says that using theese kind of boundary conditions in 1-D is equivalent to transforming the coordinates from a line to a circle. What does that mean?

Hi Simon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It just means that under those boundary conditions, the function repeats itself whenever x increases by L.

So it's the same as a function on a circle with perimeter L. :smile:

Thanks for the welcome =)

Ok so the function repeats itself when x increases by L. How do I use this when "mirroring"?

Since the delta-function has alternating signs (regarding the initial condition) for every other mirror image. Does this goes for the BC as well?

A lot of confusion here since I don't know the exact properties of the method of images. If anyone has a link where it is explained I'd appreciate it :P

Breuno said:

I've only started and for the initial condition using method of images I get:

[tex]T(x,t)=\sum{(-1)^{n}\ T_{g}(x+n*L,t)}[/tex]

where the sum goes from -infinity to infinity.

What exactly is [itex]T_{g}(x+n*L,t)[/itex]? I assume you are summing over n?

What x interval are you trying to find the solution on? [-L/2,L/2] perhaps? The method of images entails adding additional "image sources" outside of the region that you are looking for a solution on. These extra sources are placed such that the solution T(x,t) due to all of the sources will satisfy the boundary conditions.

Yea sorry I forgot to write that I sum over n. Tg is just the gaussian solution to the diffusion eq. And [tex]\int^{-\infty}_{\infty} Tg(x,t)dx=1[/tex]

Okay, so

[tex]T_g(x,t)=(4 \pi kt )^{-\frac{1}{2}}e^{\frac{-x^2}{4kt}}[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is the diffusion constant?

You know that using the method of images is going to involve adding image sources, so say you place one at [itex]x=x_0[/itex] such that [itex]T(x,0;x_0)=\delta (x-x_0)[/itex] what then would [itex]T(x,t;x_0)[/itex] due to just that source be?

Related to Diffusion eq. with periodic BC using method of images

1. What is the method of images for solving diffusion equations with periodic boundary conditions?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve diffusion equations with periodic boundary conditions. It involves creating a set of periodic images of the original system and using these images to find the solution to the diffusion equation.

2. How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by creating a set of artificial images of the original system, which are placed around the boundaries of the system. These images are chosen in such a way that they satisfy the periodic boundary conditions and allow for an easier solution to the diffusion equation.

3. When is the method of images most commonly used?

The method of images is commonly used when solving diffusion equations with periodic boundary conditions in one-dimensional systems. It is often used in problems involving heat transfer or diffusion of particles in a periodic medium.

4. Are there any limitations to using the method of images?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the method of images. It is most effective for solving diffusion equations in one-dimensional systems and may not be suitable for more complex systems. Additionally, the method may not give an accurate solution for systems with highly non-linear diffusion coefficients.

5. How accurate is the solution obtained using the method of images?

The accuracy of the solution obtained using the method of images depends on the complexity of the system and the quality of the chosen images. In general, the method provides a good approximation of the solution to the diffusion equation, but for more complex systems, it may not give an exact solution.