Diffusion Equation by Method of Images

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge in solving the diffusion equation using the method of images for a Gaussian source centered at x = L/4. The method of images involves creating a series of images of the original source, each with a weight that depends on the distance from the original source. To satisfy the Neumann boundary conditions, the spatial derivative of the Gaussian needs to be zero at x = +-L/2. This can be achieved by adding images of the Gaussian at increments of nL, each with a weight determined by a general formula. However, to solve the problem, the series needs to be truncated and an appropriate value for sigma needs to be chosen.
secret_user

Homework Statement

I need help in solving a problem I was assigned from Numerical Methods for Physics, 2nd Ed., by Garcia. We are asked to create a solution, by hand, for the diffusion equation, using the method of images. In particular, we have a 1-dimensional bar, centered at x = 0, of length = L. Our initial condition is a Dirac delta heat source at x = L/4. We have Neumann boundary conditions (the spatial derivatives of the temperature at the ends of the bar are zero).

Homework Equations

We know that the Gaussian is a solution, so we use Gaussians in our method of images.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve the situation for a Dirac delta heat source at x = 0. Basically, I drew a picture of the spatial derivative of the Gaussian, centered at x = 0. For the Neumann boundary conditions, I know that I just add identical images of the original Gaussian at increments of nL (n being an index). However, for the case where the Gaussian is centered at x = L/4, I am having trouble creating a series solution using the method of images. I've tried several variations of pictures (derivatives of Gaussians along an x-axis), but none of them give me the spatial derivative to be zero at the end points (x = +-L/2). I would greatly appreciate any help on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

I understand your struggle with solving the diffusion equation using the method of images for a Gaussian centered at x = L/4. This can be a challenging problem, but with the right approach, it can be solved.

First, let's review the method of images. This method involves creating a series of images of the original source, each with a weight that depends on the distance from the original source. For a Dirac delta heat source at x = 0, the images are simply copies of the original source at increments of nL. However, for a Gaussian source centered at x = L/4, the images become more complicated.

To start, let's look at the Gaussian solution you mentioned. The Gaussian can be represented by the following equation:

G(x) = A*exp(-x^2/(2*sigma^2))

Where A is the amplitude and sigma is the standard deviation. Now, let's consider the Gaussian centered at x = L/4. This can be represented by the following equation:

G(x) = A*exp(-(x-L/4)^2/(2*sigma^2))

To satisfy the Neumann boundary conditions, we need the spatial derivative of this Gaussian to be zero at x = +-L/2. This means that the derivative of the Gaussian at these points should be equal to the derivative of the original Gaussian at x = L/4.

To achieve this, we need to add images of the Gaussian at increments of nL, each with a weight that depends on the distance from the original source. However, since the original source is now shifted to x = L/4, the weights for each image will also be shifted. The general formula for the weight of the nth image can be represented as follows:

w_n = (-1)^n * exp(-(nL-L/4)^2/(2*sigma^2))

Using this formula, we can create a series of images that will satisfy the Neumann boundary conditions. However, since the number of images is infinite, we need to truncate the series and only consider a finite number of images. This can be done by choosing an appropriate value for sigma.

I hope this explanation helps you in solving the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Diffusion Equation by Method of Images

1. What is the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation is a mathematical equation that describes the process of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and biology to model various processes such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and the spread of pollutants.

2. What is the Method of Images?

The Method of Images is a mathematical technique used to solve boundary value problems, specifically for the diffusion equation. It involves creating a "mirror image" of the original problem, which simplifies the boundary conditions and allows for an easier solution.

3. When is the Method of Images used?

The Method of Images is commonly used in situations where there is a boundary between two different regions, and the solution to the diffusion equation needs to be determined for both regions. It is also used for problems with symmetry, as the method can simplify the solution process.

4. How does the Method of Images work?

The Method of Images works by creating a "mirror image" of the original problem. This image is essentially a reflection of the problem across a boundary. By using this mirror image, the boundary conditions for the original problem can be simplified and solved using standard techniques.

5. What are the advantages of using the Method of Images?

The Method of Images has several advantages, including simplifying the solution process for boundary value problems, reducing the complexity of equations, and allowing for solutions to be obtained in situations where other methods may not work. It also provides a physical interpretation of the solution by creating a "mirror" version of the original problem.