Digit word problems -linear equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
In summary, digit word problems are mathematical problems that involve numbers and words to describe a situation. To solve these problems, one must carefully read and understand the problem, identify given information and what needs to be solved, create an equation, and solve for the solution. Linear equations are algebraic equations that represent a straight line on a graph and are important in digit word problems as they help express relationships between quantities and find numerical solutions. To write a linear equation from a word problem, one must identify variables and their relationships, determine the values of the slope and y-intercept, and substitute them into the general form of a linear equation.
paulmdrdo1
can you please tell why my solutions here yield different answers

here's the problem,

Find two consecutive positive odd integers such that the difference of their squares is 64.

my first solution is

let $2x+1=$ smaller odd interger
$2x+3=$ larger odd integer

$(2x+3)^2-(2x+1)^2=64$

$x=9$

the numbers are 19 and 21.

my 2nd solution

let $x=$ smaller odd interger
$x+2=$ larger odd integer

$(x+2)^2-(x)^2=64$

$x=15$

the numbers are 15 and 17.

which solution method is correct?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
$(2x+3)^2-(2x+1)^2=64$

$x=9$
This should be $x=7$.

Related to Digit word problems -linear equation

1. What are digit word problems?

Digit word problems are mathematical problems that involve numbers and words to describe a situation. These problems often require the use of equations to find a solution.

2. How do I solve a digit word problem?

To solve a digit word problem, you need to first carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and what needs to be solved for. Next, create an appropriate equation based on the given information. Finally, solve the equation to find the solution.

3. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It contains one or more variables and their corresponding coefficients, as well as a constant term. The general form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

4. How do I write a linear equation from a word problem?

To write a linear equation from a word problem, first identify the variables and their relationships in the problem. Then, use the given information to determine the values of the slope and y-intercept. Finally, substitute these values into the general form of a linear equation (y = mx + b) to create the specific equation for the given problem.

5. Why are linear equations important in digit word problems?

Linear equations are important in digit word problems because they allow us to express the relationship between different quantities and find their values. They are particularly useful in digit word problems as they can represent real-life situations and help us find numerical solutions.