Digital Design Career: Advice on Skills & Knowledge Needed

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of digital designing, specifically in regards to embedded systems design. The individual is seeking advice on what skills are useful, the most difficult element in this field, and the prevalence of NI Multisim and Xilix ISE. In addition, there is a discussion on the importance of C, Unix knowledge, Verilog, and VHDL in this field. The conversation also touches on the difference between electrical and computer engineering in terms of their suitability for digital designing. Finally, the individual is advised to learn multiple modeling/simulation packages, as well as acknowledging that Xilinx is not the only player in this field.
ShockPulse
Hey everyone,
I'm currently going on my last year for my associates degree in electronics and will commence electrical/computer engineering next year. I just want to ask for any advice on digital designing (embedded systems design) careers and info.

What skills are useful to have? What do you find is the most difficult element in this field? Are NI Multisim and Xilix ISE used frequently? How important are C, Unix knowledge, Verilog and VHDL?

Lastly, would electrical or computer Eng be more suitable for such interests. My outlook on it is that electrical is for a more broader range (Analog, networking, digital, etc), while computer is more for software/hardware balancing and digital design. Although both sides may specialize and there's a lot of overlapping, what do you think?

Thank you for any advice!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ShockPulse said:
Hey everyone,
I'm currently going on my last year for my associates degree in electronics and will commence electrical/computer engineering next year. I just want to ask for any advice on digital designing (embedded systems design) careers and info.

What skills are useful to have? What do you find is the most difficult element in this field? Are NI Multisim and Xilix ISE used frequently? How important are C, Unix knowledge, Verilog and VHDL?

By embedded systems do you refer to software embedded within an ASIC or FPGA, etc system, or do you refer to ASIC/FPGA/etc embedded within a CPU controlled system, or a hybrid. Is your interest the software or the hardware? (Both can be programmed.) For ASIC/FPGA/CPLD programming, VHDL or Verilog are usually considered essential in most places, the choice of which, depends upon the place. Also a modeling/simulation package is considered a staple at most places. Which packages will be needed will, unfortunately, depend on the place, so you might need to learn a little of several. Verilog and VHDL do essentially the same thing but the feel of each is different. VHDL is considered to have the greater capability, but Verilog is considered easier to master. Neither, however has much simulation capability, so another package, such as Modelsim, etc. is needed.

KM

P.S. Xilinx is not the only player. Altera and Xilinx are considered at the top and on about the same level, but Actel and Lattice are also players.

Related to Digital Design Career: Advice on Skills & Knowledge Needed

1. What are the essential skills needed for a career in digital design?

The most essential skills for a digital design career include strong creativity and design skills, proficiency in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite, knowledge of user experience and interface design, and a good understanding of current design trends and technologies.

2. Is a degree in design necessary for a career in digital design?

While a degree in design can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for a career in digital design. Many employers value a strong portfolio and practical skills over formal education. However, some roles may require a degree or relevant certification.

3. How important is coding knowledge for a digital design career?

Coding knowledge can be very helpful in a digital design career, especially for roles that involve creating web or mobile designs. Understanding coding languages such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript can help designers create more functional and user-friendly designs.

4. What are some additional skills that can make a digital design career more successful?

Some additional skills that can make a digital design career more successful include project management, communication, and collaboration skills. These skills can help designers effectively work with clients, team members, and other stakeholders to deliver high-quality designs.

5. How can one stay updated on the latest skills and technologies in the digital design industry?

The digital design industry is constantly evolving, so it is essential to stay updated on the latest skills and technologies. One can do this by attending workshops, conferences, and online courses, following industry experts and publications, and continuously practicing and experimenting with new techniques and tools.