Digital Logic Design: Simplifying 4-Var Map | F(w,x,y,z)

In summary, if you have a k-map with 1's and X's (representing the don't care conditions), you can take all of the 1's as a group and the function will be zero.
hazim
[SOLVED] digital logic design

i want to simplify this function using four-variable map: F(w,x,y,z) = [tex]\sum[/tex](0,1,2,4,5,7,11,15) , the map contains one "1" at the upper right corner. my question is how can i take this 1 in a group? or what can i do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
another question is if i have a 3-variable map ( i mean the k-map) full of 1s and Xs(representing the don't care conditions), can i take all as one group? if yes then the function will be zero!??

Hazim,

for your first question can you give us your truth table -

what I understand is that you gave us a sum of minterms and stated that there's only a 1 in the logic table "at the upper right corner" - however this is for your k-map am I right?

If that's the only case that gives you a logic of 1 - then what does that say about your other logic combinations? Which one should you be concerned with then?

hazim said:
another question is if i have a 3-variable map ( i mean the k-map) full of 1s and Xs(representing the don't care conditions), can i take all as one group? if yes then the function will be zero!??

If your k-map is only filled with 1's an x's
then the function will be true for all cases so to speak

why would the function be 0?

Last edited:
Ian_Brooks said:
Hazim,

for your first question can you give us your truth table -

what I understand is that you gave us a sum of minterms and stated that there's only a 1 in the logic table "at the upper right corner" - however this is for your k-map am I right?

If that's the only case that gives you a logic of 1 - then what does that say about your other logic combinations? Which one should you be concerned with then?
you don't need the truth table, and you can get it from the sum of minterms if you want...i ment that there is one 1 at the corner alone, and i have to simplify the function by taking 1's in a group (2 ones or 4 or 8...) but now i solved this, i took it alone and it worked...

Ian_Brooks said:
why would the function be 0?
the function is with variables x, y, z; when taking all in a group and even in more groups, but all th literals are for sure taken in groups, then x and x' will cancel, and y will cancel with y', and z with z'

hmm i see what you are trying to do

but then for what cases will your system give you a logic of 1?

if all cases are true then it should be just a logic 1 for your function.

You may try PM'ing berkman for help - he helped many people with Digital design questions.

sorry but what is PM'ing berkman?

you send a personal message to a member called berkman - he's a member on these forums that helped me back when i was taking digital design a couple years back.

I'm still certain that for a function if all cases are true or don't cares - then you get a f() = 1
- double check with your professor if you have to.

hazim said:
sorry but what is PM'ing berkman?

I've read the thread, and sorry, I don't understand the question. Could you please re-state it? And if you could post a copy of your K-map along with your restatement of the question, that would help.

hazim said:
i want to simplify this function using four-variable map: F(w,x,y,z) = [tex]\sum[/tex](0,1,2,4,5,7,11,15) , the map contains one "1" at the upper right corner. my question is how can i take this 1 in a group? or what can i do with it?
Answer is << complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Digital Logic Design: Simplifying 4-Var Map | F(w,x,y,z)

1. What is Digital Logic Design?

Digital Logic Design is the process of creating and designing digital circuits using logic gates and other electronic components to perform specific functions.

2. How is Digital Logic Design used in real life?

Digital Logic Design is used in various electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and appliances to perform arithmetic operations, store data, and control other functions.

3. What is a 4-Var Map in Digital Logic Design?

A 4-Var Map, also known as a Karnaugh Map, is a graphical representation used to simplify Boolean functions with four variables. It helps in simplifying complex logic expressions and reducing the number of logic gates required for a circuit.

4. How does the 4-Var Map help in simplifying Digital Logic Design?

The 4-Var Map simplifies Digital Logic Design by grouping together adjacent squares with 1s or 0s, eliminating redundant terms and reducing the number of inputs required for a logic gate. This results in a more efficient and compact circuit design.

5. What is the purpose of F(w,x,y,z) in Digital Logic Design?

F(w,x,y,z) represents a Boolean function with four variables, w, x, y, and z. It is used to describe the relationship between the inputs and outputs of a digital circuit, and the 4-Var Map helps in simplifying this function to create a more efficient and optimized circuit design.