Dilution: 18-2wt% Solution | Calculate Volume

• Thread starter flatpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, the person is trying to dilute a solution from 18 wt % to 2 wt % by adding water. They are using the formula C1 V1 = C2 V2 and have attempted to solve it, but are unsure if their answer is correct. They also clarify that they mean 2 wt % when they say 2 mg/mL. They mention different methods for calculating concentration.
flatpro
Hey,

I have a solution of 18 wt % (about 1g/ml) I want to make it into a solution of 2 wt % by diluting it with water. Using C1 V1 = C2 V2 could someone show me how to do it. I have tried but seem to be getting muddled somewhere.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know (or assume) initial (or final) volume.

Show what you did, we will start from there.

--

Final desired volume 10ml

18% of 1g = 180mgC1 V1 = C2 V2
(180mg/ml)(X) = (2mg/ml) (10ml)
X = 2 (10) / 189
X = 0.11 ml <--- which seems too low

Why 2 mg/mL?

--

I mean 2 wt percentage of the final solution

Perhaps that's what you mean, but does 2 mg/mL equal 2%?

--
methods

Related to Dilution: 18-2wt% Solution | Calculate Volume

1. What is dilution and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Dilution is the process of reducing the concentration of a solution by adding more solvent. It is important in experiments because it allows for more accurate measurements and reduces the risk of chemical reactions or interactions between substances.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solution with a given concentration?

The volume of a solution can be calculated by dividing the desired concentration by the initial concentration and multiplying by the initial volume. In this case, for a 18-2wt% solution, the volume would be calculated as: (18/2) x initial volume.

3. Can you explain the concept of weight percent in a solution?

Weight percent is a unit of measurement used to express the concentration of a substance in a solution. It represents the weight of the solute in grams per 100 grams of solution. For example, a 18-2wt% solution would contain 18 grams of solute for every 100 grams of solution.

4. How does temperature affect the volume of a solution?

Temperature can affect the volume of a solution in two ways. First, as temperature increases, the volume of the solution will also increase due to thermal expansion. Second, temperature can also affect the solubility of substances, which may result in changes in the volume of the solution.

5. What are some common laboratory techniques used for dilution?

Some common laboratory techniques used for dilution include serial dilution, where a concentrated solution is repeatedly diluted to achieve the desired concentration, and volumetric dilution, where a known volume of a solution is diluted with a known volume of solvent to achieve the desired concentration.