Dilution Chemistry Problems i dont get it >.<

In summary, our teacher showed us a ton of stuff today, including molarity and dilution. I understand molarity but not dilution...any help please?
king atlantis
ok, our teacher showed us a ton of stuff today, includeing molarity and dilution. i understand molarity but not dilution...any help please?

Homework Statement

the problems are all like this:
*0.005 L of 1.0 M Hcl is diluted w/ water to 0.125 L
*100.0 ML of 2.0 M HCL is diluted with water to 200 mL.
etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

now, the formula given is M1V1=M2V2

so i would:
0.005L*0.125L=10L*20L
?
for some reason that looks wrong, but like i said, i just don't get it...the teach was a sub, and made it all confusing-like <.<

any help would be appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
well you interpreted all the variables incorrectly

[tex]M_{1}=\mbox{Molairty}_{\mbox{initial}}[/tex]

[tex]M_{2}=\mbox{Molarity}_{\mbox{final after dilution}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{1}=\mbox{Volume}_{\mbox{initial}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=\mbox{Volume}_{\mbox{final after dilution}}[/tex]

so to answer your first question

[tex]M_{1}=\mbox{1.0 M HCL}[/tex]
[tex]V_{1}=0.005L[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=0.125L[/tex]

and so, all you need to do is solve for final Volume

[tex]M_{1} \times V_{1} = M_{2} \times V_{2}[/tex]

*also, always pay attention to your final units

Last edited:
It looks to me like your trying to use Boyles Law P1V1=P2V2, I don't think that applies to your problem. Other thing I noticed is the you converted 100ML to 10L, it should be .1L

Also it seems as though part of the question is missing.

MichaelXY said:
It looks to me like your trying to use Boyles Law P1V1=P2V2, I don't think that applies to your problem. Other thing I noticed is the you converted 100ML to 10L, it should be .1L

Also it seems as though part of the question is missing.
Boyle's Law has nothing to do with this problem. He is simply looking for the final Molarity after dilution.

Last edited:
Ok, My bad.

MichaelXY said:
Ok, My bad.
Is ok, I'm in Organic 1 and I'm currently reading General Chemistry by Linus Pauling :-] There is still a lot to learn.

FAQ: Dilution Chemistry Problems i dont get it >.<

1. What is dilution in chemistry?

Dilution in chemistry refers to the process of decreasing the concentration of a solution by adding more solvent. This results in a decrease in the number of solute particles per unit volume.

2. Why are dilution problems important?

Dilution problems are important in chemistry because they allow us to accurately determine the concentration of a solution and prepare solutions with desired concentrations for experiments or practical applications.

3. How do you calculate dilution factor?

The dilution factor can be calculated by dividing the final volume of the solution by the initial volume of the solution. This gives the number of times the solution was diluted.

4. What is the formula for calculating dilution concentration?

The formula for calculating dilution concentration is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume, and C2 and V2 are the final concentration and volume.

5. How can I solve dilution problems in chemistry?

To solve dilution problems, you can use the dilution formula (C1V1 = C2V2) or the dilution factor (DF = Vf/Vi). You will also need to know the initial and final volumes and concentrations of the solution, and use proper unit conversions.