Dimension formulas for Lie algebras

In summary, the dimension formula for classical Lie algebras is (N*(N-1))/2, where N represents the dimension of the algebra. For example, SO(8) has a dimension of 8 and its formula would be 8*7/2 = 28. This formula applies to SO(2n) and D_n. For SU(N+1), SO(2n+1), and Sp(n), the formula is not explicitly mentioned, but can be derived using the number of simple roots and total roots. The number of positive roots is half of the total roots. The book "Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory" by Humphreys is a recommended source for further information on this topic
eherrtelle59
Hi.

1. Can anyone definitively tell me what the dimension formula for the classical Lie algebras?

For example, I know for SO(2n) or D_n, the dimension formula is

SO(N)--> (N*(N-1))/2

E.g. SO(8) is 8*7/2 = 28.

Ok, so what about SU(N+1) i.e. A_n, SO(2n+1) i.e. B_N and Sp(n) i.e. C_n ?

2. I have (using # of simple roots = the rank )

that # total roots = dim (above) - rank

and therefore the # of positive roots is half of this quantity (i.e. (dim-rank)/2 )

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
eherrtelle59 said:
Hi.

1. Can anyone definitively tell me what the dimension formula for the classical Lie algebras?

For example, I know for SO(2n) or D_n, the dimension formula is

SO(N)--> (N*(N-1))/2

E.g. SO(8) is 8*7/2 = 28.

Ok, so what about SU(N+1) i.e. A_n, SO(2n+1) i.e. B_N and Sp(n) i.e. C_n ?

2. I have (using # of simple roots = the rank )

that # total roots = dim (above) - rank

and therefore the # of positive roots is half of this quantity (i.e. (dim-rank)/2 )

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I'd say most decent books in Lie Algebras mention this. Anyway, Humphreys's "Int. to Lie Algebras and Repres. Theory" does.

DonAntonio

Related to Dimension formulas for Lie algebras

What are dimension formulas for Lie algebras?

Dimension formulas for Lie algebras are equations that determine the number of independent generators or basis elements in a Lie algebra. They are used to calculate the dimension of a Lie algebra, which is an important characteristic of a Lie algebra.

What is the significance of dimension formulas for Lie algebras?

Dimension formulas for Lie algebras are significant because they provide a way to classify Lie algebras and understand their structures. They also help in the study of group theory and representation theory, as Lie algebras are closely related to these fields of mathematics.

How are dimension formulas for Lie algebras derived?

Dimension formulas for Lie algebras are derived using the structure constants of the algebra. These constants are determined by the commutation relations between the basis elements. By manipulating these relations and using properties of the algebra, the dimension formula can be obtained.

Can dimension formulas be used for all Lie algebras?

Not all Lie algebras have a dimension formula. In fact, there are only a few classes of Lie algebras for which a dimension formula is known. These include simple Lie algebras, semi-simple Lie algebras, and certain solvable Lie algebras. For other types of Lie algebras, the dimension must be calculated using other methods.

Are dimension formulas for Lie algebras unique?

No, there can be multiple dimension formulas for the same Lie algebra. This is because different choices of basis elements or different ways of manipulating the commutation relations can lead to different dimension formulas. However, all valid dimension formulas for a given Lie algebra will yield the same dimension when evaluated.