Dimension of an incident

Lambda96
Homework Statement
see Post
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I had the PET scan as an experiment a few weeks ago and then had to write a protocol.

The aim of the experiment was to count the number of gamma quanta resulting from pair annihilation. The events were analyzed using the coincidence method. Here is an excerpt from the table including error calculation

Tabelle.png

I received the protocol back today and am supposed to make the appropriate corrections. One comment was that no dimension was specified for the incidents.

The incidents are actually a number and a number doesn't have a dimension, does it?

I don't understand what I should correct there or should I write it like this: incidents [] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using an auto-translator? Because "incident" is being used in a way I have never seen it before. You might find a different one is clearer,

Aren't the count rates counts per unit time? i.e. the dimensions will be Hz, (Or Bq) although the numbers in the table will need to be adjusted for duration to make them equal to Hz.

Likes Lambda96
I have written the protocol in German, but I have translated the table into English for the forum here. We use the term "Ereignis", but I didn't know whether to use event or incident as translation for "Ereignis"

But the unit of an "Ereignis" is dimensionless or not?

I think the word you want is "Event". However, you are very unclear whether you want "Event" or "Events per second". They obviously have different units.

It is about the unit of events. Unfortunately, I also realise that I have translated the "Zählrate" incorrectly. Each measurement of events was 60 seconds, so the events per second are nothing other than ##\frac{Events}{60s}##

Since events are nothing more than a number, I then have to write "Events [qty]"?

I have no idea what you want.

What the unit of the events is supposed to be, for me it is unitless but apparently not for my lecturer.

And we cannot read your lecturer's mind.

You have been told that you are mixing up "Events" and "Events/second." Which one do you really want? How can we possibly tell you? Which one does your lecturer want? How can we possibly tell you that either?

Lambda96 said:
Since events are nothing more than a number, I then have to write "Events [qty]"?
Events/minute. Kind of like Revolutions per Minute (RPM).

1720549489321.png

Last edited: