Dimension of intersection of subspaces proof

In summary, if the dimensions of two subspaces U and W, when added together, are greater than the dimension of a vector space V, then the dimension of their intersection, U ∩ W, must be greater than 0. This can be proven using Grassmann's formula, which states that the dimension of U ∩ W is equal to the sum of the dimensions of U and W minus the dimension of their sum, U + W. If k+l > n, then U + W must have a dimension greater than n, which contradicts the fact that it is a subspace of V. Therefore, it must be true that dim(U ∩ W) > 0.
Dansuer

Homework Statement

[itex]V[/itex] is a vector space with dimension n, [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]W[/itex] are two subspaces with dimension k and l.
prove that if k+l > n then [itex]U \cap W[/itex] has dimension > 0

Homework Equations

Grassmann's formula

[itex]dim(U+W) = dim(U) + dim(W) - dim(U \cap W)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose k+l >n.
Suppose that [itex]dim(U \cap W) \leq 0[/itex]

since the dimension can't be negative [itex]dim(U \cap W) = 0[/itex]

then Grassman formula reduces to

[itex]dim(U+W) = dim(U) + dim(W)[/itex]
[itex]dim(U+W) = k +l > n[/itex]

this is a contraddiction because [itex]U+W[/itex] has dimension grater than the dimension of his enclosing space.

is this a valid proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, are you trying to prove?

that [itex] dim(U \cap W) > 0 [/itex]
since you are asking me that question do i have to assume that my proof is wrong?

EDIT: ops

I have to prove that if k+l > n then [itex] dim(U \cap W) > 0 [/itex]

Last edited:

FAQ: Dimension of intersection of subspaces proof

1. What is the definition of the dimension of intersection of subspaces?

The dimension of intersection of subspaces is the maximum number of linearly independent vectors that can be found in the intersection of two subspaces.

2. How do I prove the dimension of intersection of subspaces?

To prove the dimension of intersection of subspaces, you must show that the intersection of the two subspaces contains a set of linearly independent vectors that has the maximum possible number of elements.

3. What is the importance of understanding the dimension of intersection of subspaces?

Understanding the dimension of intersection of subspaces is important because it helps determine the relationship between two subspaces and can be used in various applications, such as solving systems of linear equations and determining the dimension of a vector space.

4. Can the dimension of intersection of subspaces be greater than the dimension of one of the subspaces?

Yes, it is possible for the dimension of intersection of subspaces to be greater than the dimension of one of the subspaces. This occurs when the subspaces are not parallel and have a nontrivial intersection.

5. Are there any specific methods for solving problems related to the dimension of intersection of subspaces?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to solve problems related to the dimension of intersection of subspaces, such as the row reduction method, the basis method, and the rank-nullity theorem. It is important to choose the most appropriate method depending on the specific problem at hand.

Back