Dimension of set S, subspace of R3?

In summary: That's right. As Halls noted,$$(2a,-4a+5b,4b)= (2a, -4a, 0)+ (0, 5b, 4b)= a(2, -4, 0)+ b(0, 5, 4)$$and this observation allows you to immediately see a basis for the subspace. Do you see why?Because the basis vectors are the linear combinations of the a's and the b's, and the dimension of a subspace is the number of vectors in the basis.
concon

Homework Statement

Determine whether set S = {2a,-4a+5b,4b| aε R ^ bε R} is a subspace of R3?

If it is a subspace of R3, find the dimension?

Homework Equations

dimension= n if it forms the basis of Rn, meaning that its linear independent and span(S) = V

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on really where to start on this problem.
What do I do with the a's and b's? I have only done problems like this with real values for the vectors. What is the first step in determining if this is a subspace?

Physics news on Phys.org
First step is to recall the definition of a subspace: it must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

So start by taking two arbitrary elements of ##S##. An arbitrary element looks like ##v_1 = (2a_1, -4a_1 + 5b_1, 4b_1)##. A second one looks like ##v_2 = (2a_2, -4a_2 + 5b_2, 4b_2)##. What do you get when you add ##v_1## and ##v_2##?

Adding v1 and v2

jbunniii said:
First step is to recall the definition of a subspace: it must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

So start by taking two arbitrary elements of ##S##. An arbitrary element looks like ##v_1 = (2a_1, -4a_1 + 5b_1, 4b_1)##. A second one looks like ##v_2 = (2a_2, -4a_2 + 5b_2, 4b_2)##. What do you get when you add ##v_1## and ##v_2##?

well if you add them wouldn't you get a new vector
that is
(2a1 + 2a2, -4a1-4a2 + 5b1 +5b2, 4b1 + 4b2)
Which is not in the same form as v1 and v2 thus it is not a subspace right?
So you cannot give it a dimension? Is this correct?

Thanks for the reply! Can you look at my other posts and help with those?

concon said:
well if you add them wouldn't you get a new vector
that is
(2a1 + 2a2, -4a1-4a2 + 5b1 +5b2, 4b1 + 4b2)
Which is not in the same form as v1 and v2 thus it is not a subspace right?
What if I rearrange the expressions a bit: ##(2(a_1 + a_2), -4(a_1 + a_2) + 5(b_1 + b_2), 4(b_1 + b_2))##. Is this an element of ##S##?

jbunniii said:
What if I rearrange the expressions a bit: ##(2(a_1 + a_2), -4(a_1 + a_2) + 5(b_1 + b_2), 4(b_1 + b_2))##. Is this an element of ##S##?

Okay gotcha so when you re-arrange like that them yes it is an element of S and thus is closed under addition. So it is a subspace?

concon said:
Okay gotcha so when you re-arrange like that them yes it is an element of S and thus is closed under addition. So it is a subspace?
You also need to check that it is closed under scalar multiplication.

As far as the dimension is concerned, notice that (2a,-4a+5b,4b)= (2a, -4a, 0)+ (0, 5b, 4b)= a(2, -4, 0)+ b(0, 5, 4).

Multiplication

jbunniii said:
You also need to check that it is closed under scalar multiplication.
So if I take v1 = (2a, -4a+5b , 4b)
and multiply by the scalar k=3
you would get
v1 = (6a, -12a +15b, 12b)
So it isn't closed under scalar multiplication or is it?

concon said:
So if I take v1 = (2a, -4a+5b , 4b)
and multiply by the scalar k=3
you would get
v1 = (6a, -12a +15b, 12b)
So it isn't closed under scalar multiplication or is it?
We can rewrite that expression as ##(2(3a), -4(3a) + 5(3b), 4(3b))##. Is this in ##S##? What happens if you replace ##k=3## by something more general, i.e. just ##k##?

jbunniii said:
We can rewrite that expression as ##(2(3a), -4(3a) + 5(3b), 4(3b))##. Is this in ##S##? What happens if you replace ##k=3## by something more general, i.e. just ##k##?
Well I guess as long as k isn't zero then it is also closed under scalar multiplication right?

jbunniii said:
Okay so it is subspace. Now how do I find the dimension?

concon said:
Well I guess as long as k isn't zero then it is also closed under scalar multiplication right?
##k=0## works too:
$$0(2a, -4a + 5b, 4b) = (2(0), -4(0) + 5(0), 4(0)) = (2a', -4a' + 5b', 4b')$$
where ##a' = b' = 0##.

concon said:
See HallsofIvy's note above.

jbunniii said:
See HallsofIvy's note above.
Okay so dimension is 2?

concon said:
Okay so dimension is 2?
That's right. As Halls noted,
$$(2a,-4a+5b,4b)= (2a, -4a, 0)+ (0, 5b, 4b)= a(2, -4, 0)+ b(0, 5, 4)$$
and this observation allows you to immediately see a basis for the subspace. Do you see why?

Related to Dimension of set S, subspace of R3?

1. What is the dimension of a set S, subspace of R3?

The dimension of a set S, subspace of R3, is the minimum number of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire subspace. In other words, it is the number of dimensions needed to represent all possible points in the subspace.

2. How do you determine the dimension of a subspace of R3?

To determine the dimension of a subspace of R3, you can use the following steps:

• Find the number of vectors in the subspace.
  • Put these vectors into a matrix and row reduce.
  • Count the number of non-zero rows in the reduced matrix.

The number of non-zero rows corresponds to the dimension of the subspace.

3. Can a subspace of R3 have a dimension of zero?

No, a subspace of R3 cannot have a dimension of zero. This is because a subspace, by definition, must contain at least one non-zero vector, and that vector alone would have a dimension of one.

4. Is the dimension of a subspace of R3 always an integer?

Yes, the dimension of a subspace of R3 is always an integer. This is because the dimension represents the number of linearly independent vectors, and vectors are counted as whole units.

5. Can the dimension of a subspace of R3 be greater than three?

No, the dimension of a subspace of R3 cannot be greater than three. This is because R3 refers to a three-dimensional space, and any subspace within it will have a maximum of three dimensions. If a subspace has a dimension greater than three, it would be in a different space altogether.