Dimensional Analysis Buckingham Pi Theorem

In summary, the pi groups relevant to this problem are h1, h2, d, D, g, t, and velocity. However, the solution also includes Δh, D, t, ρ, d, ϒ, and h1 without explanation. The book states that knowing which variables to choose requires experience and lists some common ones, but does not clarify when they would be needed. ϒ represents specific weight, which is necessary for calculating liquid head pressure at the nozzle. The pi groups must include Δh/d, so Δh is included in the solution. The only parameter not selected by the book but by the conversation participant is ρ, or density. Additionally, it should be noted that the pi groups refer to
Raddy13
This is the problem I'm currently working on:
upload_2017-7-19_20-48-23.png

The pi groups I identified were h1, h2, d, D, g, t, and velocity, but when I looked at the solution, it selected Δh, D, t, ρ, d, ϒ, h1, with no explanation why those variables are needed. If I was solving with the Bernoulli equation, I wouldn't need density or specific weight, so why do those come up in this case? And if we're using all variables from the equation even if they're not relevant, then why doesn't pressure appear? The only explanation that the book gives is that "knowing what variables to choose requires experience" and then lists some common ones, but no explanation as to when they would be needed and when they wouldn't.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to post this in the homework question forum.
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does ϒ represent? I would think that using combination of h1 and h2 could get the same result as h1 and Δh.

ϒ is specific weight (density times gravity).

It would end up with the same result, but since the one of the pi groups has to take the form of Δh/d, so Δh has to be one of the terms.

The liquid head pressure a the nozzle is a function of the density of the fluid.

Raddy13 said:
ϒ is specific weight (density times gravity).

It would end up with the same result, but since the one of the pi groups has to take the form of Δh/d, so Δh has to be one of the terms.
So the only parameter that they selected that you didn't select was ##\rho##, right?

Incidentally, a terminology issue: The pi groups are the dimensionless groups, not the dimensional parameters.

Related to Dimensional Analysis Buckingham Pi Theorem

1. What is the Buckingham Pi Theorem?

The Buckingham Pi Theorem is a principle in dimensional analysis that states that for any physical system involving a certain number of variables, if the variables are expressed in terms of fundamental units of measurement, the variables can be combined into dimensionless groups. These groups are known as Pi terms and can be used to describe the behavior of the system.

2. How is the Buckingham Pi Theorem used in science?

The Buckingham Pi Theorem is used in science to simplify and analyze complex physical systems. By reducing the number of variables involved and expressing them in terms of dimensionless Pi terms, scientists are able to better understand and predict the behavior of the system. This is particularly useful in fields such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

3. What is the importance of dimensionless groups in dimensional analysis?

Dimensionless groups, or Pi terms, play a crucial role in dimensional analysis because they represent the ratio of two physical quantities with the same dimensions. This allows scientists to compare and describe the behavior of different systems without having to consider the specific units of measurement used. Dimensionless groups also reveal important relationships between variables and can help identify key parameters that affect the behavior of a system.

4. Can the Buckingham Pi Theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the Buckingham Pi Theorem can be applied to all physical systems as long as they involve a finite number of variables and can be expressed in terms of fundamental units of measurement. However, the usefulness of the theorem may vary depending on the complexity and nonlinearity of the system.

5. How does the Buckingham Pi Theorem relate to dimensional homogeneity?

The Buckingham Pi Theorem is closely related to dimensional homogeneity, which states that all terms in an equation must have the same physical dimensions. By using Pi terms, scientists can ensure that the terms in an equation are dimensionally homogeneous, which is essential for the equation to be valid. This allows for more accurate and meaningful analysis of physical systems.