Dimensional Analysis & Conversions: Metric Units Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of dimensional analysis and conversions between metric units. One user is seeking help with converting from one unit to another, while another user is asking for an explanation of dimensional analysis in simpler terms. The conversation also includes suggestions for helpful tutorials and a reminder to post in the appropriate forum. The conversation also touches on the use of big words and misunderstandings about the term "dimensional analysis."
chewbocka
Confused in College!

I need a little help with Dimensional Analysis and Conversions (Metric Units)

Example: 35mm__________________________________________m

How can I convert from one unit of measure to another? :cry:

AND

Would somebody --- please, explain Dimensional Analysis to me in laymens terms? :confused:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
chewbocka said:
I need a little help with Dimensional Analysis and Conversions (Metric Units)

Example: 35mm__________________________________________m

How can I convert from one unit of measure to another? :cry:

AND

Would somebody --- please, explain Dimensional Analysis to me in laymens terms? :confused

Am I asking for help in the right manner?

Come on, somebody has to be awake...

35mm = 3.5cm = 0.35dm = 0.035m = 0.0035dam = 0.00035hm = 0.000035km

Hmm... I don't normally get involved in this sort of issues, but it's been a slow evening as far as I'm concerned. It probably sucks to be kept awake late at night in your second week of classes by what are simple issues.
For dimensional analysis tutorials, try these two - they're written in fairly laymen terms.
http://www.ncsu.edu/felder-public/kenny/papers/units.html
http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/dimanaly/
The conversion factors you need for the metric system are very straightforward since they are all various multiples of ten. You should be able to find them if you do a Google search on define <unit>. There are also plenty of other sites on dimensional analysis to be found.
Oh, and for future reference, such questions should go in the "Homework help" subforums, which are more carefully monitored by people willing to help.

You also posted your second post in this thread 8 minutes after the first and then another 15 minutes after that! This isn't supposed to be an "answers on demand" operation! I usually look at this board once every one or two days- I have other things to do (Occassionally, people catch me and make me actually work for my pay!).

The answer to your question- 15 mm is how many meters?- depends entirely upon know what millimeters and meters are. Do you know that?

Why do they use big word these days like "dimensional analysis" to talk about simple ideas? When I learned this stuff it was the simple name of "factor label method." How many MILLImeters are in 1 meter? If you know that, than you should be able to figure out your problem.

This may be a matter of using big words incorrectly! "Dimensional Analysis" is not just converting from one unit to another. It is used extensively to simplify equations in applied mathematics and I have even seen it used to prove the Pythagorean theorem!

Related to Dimensional Analysis & Conversions: Metric Units Explained

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a problem-solving technique used in science to convert units of measurement. It involves using conversion factors and canceling out units until the desired unit is obtained.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it allows scientists to convert between different units of measurement accurately and easily. It also helps to ensure that calculations are done correctly and consistently.

3. What are metric units?

Metric units are a system of measurement based on the International System of Units (SI). They are used in science and everyday life and include units such as meters, liters, and grams.

4. How do you convert between metric units?

To convert between metric units, you need to use conversion factors. These are ratios that represent the relationship between two units. Multiply the original value by the appropriate conversion factor to convert to the desired unit.

5. What are some common metric conversions?

Some common metric conversions include converting between meters and centimeters, liters and milliliters, and kilometers and meters. It is important to remember the metric prefixes, such as kilo, centi, and milli, when converting between units.