Dimensional analysis of the london penetration depth

In summary, the conversation discusses the London penetration depth and the dimensionality of its equation. There is a suggestion to re-derive the expression and use the Maxwell equation with proper units to get the correct dimension.
phja
hi guys.

i have the london penetration depth defined as [tex]\lambda_l = \sqrt{\frac{m^{**}}{4\pi n_{s} e^{2}}}[/tex].

i'm trying to figure out the dimensionality of it...surely it must be a length, but i get

[tex][(Kg)(m^{3})(A^{-1}s^{-1})]^{0.5}[/tex]

in SI units.

am i doing something wrong?

cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some units set to '1' in this expression, which is why your analysis comes out funky. You will need some factors of c or [tex]\mu_0[/tex] in your expression for the depth to make the dimension come out correct.

You could try to re-derive the expression for the depth yourself (just google it), and use the expression for the Maxwell equation with the proper units in place. It's doable!

Related to Dimensional analysis of the london penetration depth

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze and understand the physical quantities and their relationships in a system based on their units of measurement.

What is the London penetration depth?

The London penetration depth, also known as the London length or the London depth, is a characteristic length scale in superconductors that represents the distance over which magnetic fields can penetrate into the material.

How is dimensional analysis applied to the London penetration depth?

Dimensional analysis can be used to derive an expression for the London penetration depth in terms of the relevant physical quantities, such as temperature, critical temperature, and magnetic field strength, and their corresponding units of measurement.

What are the units of the London penetration depth?

The units of the London penetration depth depend on the system of units used. In the SI system, the London penetration depth is measured in meters (m), while in the CGS system, it is measured in centimeters (cm).

What is the significance of dimensional analysis in understanding the London penetration depth?

Dimensional analysis allows us to understand the relationship between different physical quantities and their units of measurement, providing insight into the behavior and properties of the London penetration depth in superconductors.