Dimensional analysis - quantum and classical lengthscale ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses using dimensional analysis to approximate the length scale in classical and quantum mechanics, with results of l_c≈2.8*10^-15m and l_q≈2.4*10^-12m. The question arises about how the analysis would change if l_q≈l_c. The answer given is that electromagnetic effects must be considered and the ratio l_c/l_q is small due to the fine structure constant. It is also asked for an explanation of why electromagnetic effects must be considered and how they affect the ratio.
kapitan90

Homework Statement

I was supposed to use dimensional analysis to approximate the length scale (in classical and quantum mechanics). The results I got(same as those in the answer sheet): classicaly[tex]l_c≈\frac{e^2}{4πm_ec^2ε_0}≈2.8*10^-15m[/tex] In quantum mechanics[tex]l_q≈\frac{h}{m_ec}≈2.4*10^-12m[/tex]

Homework Equations

The next question is: how would your analysis in case of [tex]l_q[/tex]have to change if [tex]l_q≈l_c?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer to question b), but I don't think I understand it. The answer they give is:
'If[tex]l_q≈l_c[/tex] it would not be possible to estimate l_q without considering electromagnetic effects and write [tex]l_q=f(\frac{l_c}{l_q})[/tex] In fact ratio l_c/l_q is is small (apart from a factor of 2π it is just the fine structure constant).'

Could anyone please explain or comment on the given answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone explain why the electromagnetic effects need to be considered and how it influences the ratio?

Related to Dimensional analysis - quantum and classical lengthscale ratio

1) What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and understand the relationships between physical quantities. It involves examining the dimensions of the involved quantities and using them to form equations that can be used to solve for unknown variables.

2) What is the difference between quantum and classical lengthscale ratio?

The quantum lengthscale refers to the size of objects at the atomic and subatomic level, where the laws of quantum mechanics govern their behavior. The classical lengthscale, on the other hand, refers to the size of macroscopic objects that can be described using classical mechanics. The ratio between these two length scales is important in understanding how different physical phenomena behave at different scales.

3) Why is the dimensional analysis of quantum and classical lengthscale ratio important?

The dimensional analysis of quantum and classical lengthscale ratio is important because it helps us understand the behavior of physical systems at different scales. It allows us to make predictions and develop theories that can accurately describe and explain the behavior of objects at both the quantum and classical levels.

4) How is dimensional analysis used in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, dimensional analysis is used to understand the relationships between fundamental physical quantities, such as energy, mass, and time. It is also used to develop equations and models that can accurately describe the behavior of quantum systems.

5) Can dimensional analysis be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied to many fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is a powerful tool for understanding the relationships between physical quantities and can be used to develop models and equations in various areas of scientific research.