Dimensions related to Planck's constant H

In summary, the three important quantities in this system are the speed of light C, Planck's constant H, and the mass of the proton M sub p. To create a new quantity of dimensions (L), we can use a combination of ratios and/or products of these three quantities, such as (C^-1)*(H^1)*(M^-1) or H/M*C. Similarly, for a new quantity of dimensions (T), we can use combinations like H/M*C*C or H/C*M.
ODBS
Consider a system where the three fundamentally important quantities are the speed of light C with dimensions (L)/(T), Planck's constant H with dimensions (M)(L)^2/(T), and the mass of the proton M sub p with dimension (M).
a) What combination of ratios and/or products of C, H, and M sub p will yield a new quantity of dimensions (L)?
b) What combination of ratios and/or products of C, H, and M sub p will yield a new quantity of dimensions (T)?

I have no idea how to figure this out. I am brand new to physics so any help would be greatly appreciated. Could you please solve the question and walk me through how you found the answer? I am a very literal learner and I need to see the answer along with how you found it.

This is what I came up with, not sure if it's correct:

(C^a)*(H^b)*(M^c)

L^(a+2b)=L----> a+2b=1
M^(b+c)= 1-----> b+c=0
T^(a-b)=1---->a-b=0

a=-b
b=1
a=-1
c=-1

(C^-1)*(H^1)*(M^-1)=H/C*M

-a-b=1
a+2b=0
b+c=0
b=1
a=-2
c=-1

So, H/M*c*c

part A= H/M*C
part B= H/M*C*C

Physics news on Phys.org
:approve: yes, you are correct...I checked it myself. Cheers :smile:

Thank you! I've asked another question about fcc fraction packing for a pyramidal structure. Can you take a look at it and help me out? I'm really lost on that one.

ODBS said:
Thank you! I've asked another question about fcc fraction packing for a pyramidal structure. Can you take a look at it and help me out? I'm really lost on that one.

I would've if I myself had any clue!:-p I am a student myself, I am not proficient with that topic!...I am sure others will help out! :smile:

FAQ: Dimensions related to Planck's constant H

1. What is Planck's constant H?

Planck's constant H, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is named after the German physicist Max Planck who first introduced it in 1900.

2. How is Planck's constant H related to dimensions?

Planck's constant H has dimensions of energy multiplied by time, or joule-seconds (J·s). This means that it is a unit of action, which is a measure of the amount of change in a physical system over time.

3. What are the units of measurement for Planck's constant H?

The SI unit for Planck's constant H is joule-seconds (J·s). In other systems of measurement, it can also be expressed as erg-seconds (erg·s) or electronvolt-seconds (eV·s).

4. Why is Planck's constant H important in quantum mechanics?

Planck's constant H plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it relates the energy of a quantum particle to its frequency. It is used in many equations and formulas in quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

5. How is Planck's constant H measured?

Planck's constant H cannot be measured directly, but it can be calculated by measuring other physical constants such as the speed of light and the charge of an electron. In 2018, the most precise measurement of Planck's constant H was achieved using a device called a watt balance, with an uncertainty of only 13 parts per billion.

Back