Diode i-v characteristic via oscilloscope

In summary, the Zener diode produces an ellipse on the oscilloscope's i-v characteristic when tested at a lower frequency.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
We utilized a differential attenuator to display the i-v characteristic of a 1n4005 diode. However, I was a bit confused as to how I could determine what the y-axis was calibrated as. I know that the vertical axis is actually current, but is there some sort of tactic for determining whether it is mA, A, etc? I have a printout of the oscilloscope's screen and it says:
[itex]1-500\stackrel{m}{v}[/itex] and [itex]2-20.0\stackrel{m}{v}[/itex]

Engineering news on Phys.org
To measure current, you must be measuring the voltage across a small resistor.

So, you find out how much resistance that resistor has and then use Ohm's Law to calculate the current needed to produce, say, 1 volt across that resistor.

Then you read the scale on the oscilloscope to see what voltage is actually being produced.

Then you can work out what the current is.

OR, you can put a 1000 ohm resistor in the circuit instead of the diode, and calculate the current through the resistor and see what deflection that gives on the oscilloscope

Sweet, good idea! Thanks

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have one question:

When I display the i-v characteristic of a zener diode (3.6V, 0.77V drop forward biased), the graph is only clear at low frequencies such as 50Hz. When I increase the frequency more and more, the contribution along the x-axis splits into two lines, illuminating an elongated elipse. Is there some sort of explanation for this? I have tried numerous other zener diodes, and they all show the same result.

My guess is that the hysterisis is simply due to the capaciatance of the diod, the time-constants can become quite long; especially if the load is an oscilloscope with a high inpute impedance.

There is always a current limiting resistor in series with a Zener diode and, if this is large, the power source cannot charge or discharge the capacitance of a Zener (when it is reverse biased) fast enough.

So this capacitor voltage lags behind the supply voltage and this produces the ellipse.

There is no need to do anything about it. Just test at the lower frequency.

Related to Diode i-v characteristic via oscilloscope

What is a diode i-v characteristic?

A diode i-v characteristic is a graphical representation of the current-voltage relationship of a diode. It shows how the current flowing through the diode changes as the voltage across it is varied.

Why is it important to measure the diode i-v characteristic?

Measuring the diode i-v characteristic is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior and performance of a diode. It can help determine the diode's operating point, maximum current and voltage ratings, and identify any defects or malfunctions.

How is a diode i-v characteristic measured using an oscilloscope?

To measure the diode i-v characteristic using an oscilloscope, the diode is connected in series with a resistor and a voltage source. The oscilloscope is then connected in parallel with the diode and set to measure the voltage across the diode. The voltage source is gradually increased, and the corresponding current and voltage values are recorded to plot the i-v characteristic curve.

What does the slope of a diode i-v characteristic curve represent?

The slope of a diode i-v characteristic curve represents the diode's dynamic resistance, which is the change in voltage divided by the change in current. It is a measure of how easily the diode can conduct current at a given voltage.

How can the diode i-v characteristic be used to identify the type of diode?

Different types of diodes have unique i-v characteristic curves. For example, a silicon diode has a steeper slope and a higher breakdown voltage compared to a germanium diode. By comparing the measured i-v characteristic curve to known characteristic curves of different diodes, the type of diode can be identified.