Diode Limiter Circuit: Input-Output Graph & Voltage Output

• Engineering
  • Thread starter francisg3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the results of a lab on diode limiters, specifically the voltage output for a circuit fed by a 16V sine wave with a frequency of 1kHz. The theoretical values for the voltage output are 3V + 0.7V = 3.7V when the sine wave is positive, and -4V + 0.7V = -3.3V when it is negative. The graph of the input and output would be a sine wave clipped at +3.7V and -4.7V.
francisg3
Hello,
I have recently had a lab on diode limiters and am a bit confused by the results. The circuit is seen in the picture below and I have obtained theoretical values for the Voltage output. The circuit is feed by a 16V sine wave with a frequency of 1kHz.

Now I know when the sine wave is positive, D1 conducts and D2 is cut-off. So the voltage output should be 3V + 0.7V = 3.7V right?

When the sine wave is negative I know that D1 is cut-off and D2 conducts. This means that the output voltage should be -4V + 0.7V = -3.3V correct?

I need to sketch the input and output so would the graph would be a sine wave clipped at +3.7V and -4.7V ?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• diode.jpg
    diode.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
would the graph would be a sine wave clipped at +3.7V and -4.7V ?

Yes, it would be like this.

Related to Diode Limiter Circuit: Input-Output Graph & Voltage Output

1. What is a diode limiter circuit?

A diode limiter circuit is an electronic circuit that limits the voltage level of an input signal to a predetermined level, called the "clamping voltage". It uses diodes, which are one-way current conductors, to prevent the signal from exceeding the clamping voltage.

2. How does a diode limiter circuit work?

A diode limiter circuit works by using diodes to redirect the excess voltage of an input signal to a lower voltage level, preventing it from exceeding the clamping voltage. This process is called "clamping". The diodes are connected in parallel with the input signal and the clamping voltage is determined by the biasing of the diodes.

3. What is the input-output graph of a diode limiter circuit?

The input-output graph of a diode limiter circuit shows the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage. It is a straight line with a slope of 1, until it reaches the clamping voltage, where the output voltage remains constant regardless of any further increase in input voltage.

4. How is the voltage output of a diode limiter circuit calculated?

The voltage output of a diode limiter circuit can be calculated by subtracting the forward voltage drop of the diode (typically around 0.7V) from the clamping voltage. For example, if the clamping voltage is 5V, the voltage output would be 5V - 0.7V = 4.3V.

5. What are the applications of a diode limiter circuit?

A diode limiter circuit is commonly used in electronic circuits to protect sensitive components from overvoltage and to regulate the voltage level of a signal. It is also used in communication systems to prevent distortion of signals and in AC circuits to remove the DC component of a signal.