Dirac equation for the conjugated field

In summary, when applying the Euler-Lagrange equation to the Lagrangian density of the Dirac field, the conjugate field is given by \bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m) = 0 (derivative acts to the left). However, when taking the hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation for the field, an extra \gamma^0 is needed. Multiplying with \gamma^0 from the right will result in the same equation as the one obtained from Euler-Lagrange.
phsopher
This is probably a stupid question, but when I apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to the Lagrangian density of the Dirac field I get for the conjugate field

[tex]\bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m) = 0[/tex] (derivative acts to the left).

But when I take a hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation for the field I get an extra [tex]\gamma^0[/tex]:

[tex]0 = \left[ (i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m)\psi \right]^\dagger = \psi^\dagger (-i \partial_\mu (\gamma^{\mu})^\dagger -m) = \psi^\dagger (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m) = \psi^\dagger \gamma^0(-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m) = \bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m)[/tex].

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
phsopher said:
This is probably a stupid question, but when I apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to the Lagrangian density of the Dirac field I get for the conjugate field

[tex]\bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m) = 0[/tex] (derivative acts to the left).

But when I take a hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation for the field I get an extra [tex]\gamma^0[/tex]:

[tex]0 = \left[ (i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m)\psi \right]^\dagger = \psi^\dagger (-i \partial_\mu (\gamma^{\mu})^\dagger -m) = \psi^\dagger (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m) = \psi^\dagger \gamma^0(-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m) = \bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m)[/tex].

What am I missing?

Taking the normal hermitean conjugate of the <original> Dirac eqn will not give you the <conjugated> equation. You need an extra [itex] \gamma_0 [/itex].

Actually, you took out the [itex] \gamma_0 [/itex] from the paranthesis without it being there next to the <m>. That's wrong.

Ah yes, of course. Then I can multiply with [tex]\gamma^0[/tex] from the right and get the same equation as from Euler-Lagrange. I'm such an idiot. Thanks a lot.

FAQ: Dirac equation for the conjugated field

1. What is the Dirac equation for the conjugated field?

The Dirac equation for the conjugated field is a relativistic quantum field equation that describes the behavior of fermions, or particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons. It was first proposed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is a fundamental equation in the field of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Dirac equation differ from other quantum field equations?

The Dirac equation is unique because it accounts for both the wave-like and particle-like nature of fermions, which was not captured by previous quantum field equations. It also incorporates special relativity, making it a relativistic equation.

3. What does the conjugated field refer to in the Dirac equation?

In the Dirac equation, the conjugated field refers to the antiparticle counterpart of the fermion being described. For example, the electron field has a corresponding positron field in the conjugated form.

4. How is the Dirac equation used in modern physics?

The Dirac equation is used in a variety of fields in modern physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in practical applications, such as in the development of transistors for electronic devices.

5. Can the Dirac equation be solved exactly?

The Dirac equation can be solved exactly for simple systems, such as a single particle in a uniform electric or magnetic field. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods or approximations are often used to find solutions. Additionally, the Dirac equation has been used to make many important predictions in physics, but it is still an area of active research and there is much to be discovered about its solutions and implications.